Thursday, April 26, 2007

the big scare

I must tell you, my youngest son is a prankster. Good hearted, but a prankster nonetheless. Once in a while, his pranks backfire on him. I was sitting here at the computer, reading blogs the other night, and the house was quiet (for once). It was a little after ten, and suddenly very faintly, I heard a dull thud and what sounded like tinkling glass coming from one of the bedrooms. I sat for a minute trying to figure out what the sound was, and then it dawned on me. I sat up straight. "What the heck!" I told my honey that it sounded like a window breaking in the boy's room. (I wanted him to go check it out, you see. I'm a big chicken when it comes to windows breaking late at night. Go figure.)

Well, before he could get up to go see, Lew came in the front door with a sheepish look on his face. He had just gotten home from work and had "knocked" (pounded) on the window (not that hard, he said!) to scare John, who was in the room watching TV, or so he thought. Only instead of scaring John, the window broke as he was banging on it and scared him! My honey sat on the couch gritting his teeth, and as he was telling someone about it later, all he could think about was that it was paybacks for him for all the windows he broke when he was a kid. Maybe kids are just naturally hard on windows. I remember breaking a few myself.

The irony of it all was that John was already asleep, and hadn't heard a thing!

No comments: