Monday, April 9, 2007

laying on the couch with my tongue hanging out

Wow. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. As a matter of fact, I think it backed up and ran over me several times!

We had two of the grandbabies, D-Boy and T-Boy, stay overnight on Saturday night (not literally babies, though, because they are three and six years old). "Mom" was going to be picking them up on Sunday evening when she came for Easter dinner.

On Saturday night, they weren't actually sleeping until two in the morning. Sunday morning when we got up at 7:30 am or so, they were awake and running around the house already! I don't ever remember having that much energy. The Energizer Bunny has NOTHING on them.

We hid Easter candy for them and had them look for it right away in the morning. That was our first mistake! I know, I know. You would think we'd never been parents before. That's one of the cardinal rules. Skip the sugar! Okay, well, we're old. We're entitled to forget things.

They were eating their Fun Dip at the little table in the living room, and we were right around the corner cleaning up the kitchen and preparing Easter dinner. I remember thinking, "My, they've finally mellowed out a little." My honey said, "They're pretty quiet." And we both looked at each other. "They're TOO quiet!"

He went around the corner, and there they were. Throwing their Fun Dip powder all over the table, up in the air, and all over the carpeting! It was time for a break. They sat on the couch and watched me wipe up the table, wipe off the chairs, vacuum the carpet, and throw away what was left of their Fun Dip packages. After all of that, T-boy's next question was, "Can I have my candy back?" Are you kidding me?? Oh, my. I forget what short memories kids have!

By about two o'clock in the afternoon, we were staring longingly at the door, waiting for "Mom" to walk through it. By five o'clock, my honey was sure she had actually packed her bags and headed for another country. At about eight o'clock, though, she showed up, looking well rested and happy. My honey and I, on the other hand, were barely hanging on by a thread, holding ourselves up on the counter.

Grampa didn't even make it through the whole day. After dinner, he was sitting on the couch watching a movie with D-boy curled up next to him. When I went in the room to see how they were doing, he was sound asleep and D-boy was wide awake, still going strong. I think we could name tornadoes after them without any problem.

I have been in the trenches, where only the foolish and the fearless dare to go. I guess there is no danger of "baby hunger" for me this week!

3 comments:

Faith said...

Oh your daughter appreciated you I'm sure!! She had a relaxing day without the kiddos. Reminds me of my dog when he has to go for a walk or has a friend over. He plays hard, then he's like dead to the world for 1 or 2 days, with tongue hanging out! Hope your recuperating, funny story.

free2bme said...

Daisy, I love your blog. May I post a link from extoots?

daisyaday said...

By all means. Thank you for the compliment!