Sunday, April 22, 2007

pms - permanent mental stress???

So this is perimenopause? That would be the time of life just before menopause. I just read that it can last from 5 to 15 years. Yes, years. I was wondering what happens AFTER menopause, but maybe I won't have to worry about that for a while. Yikes. There's a list of possible symptoms as long as my arm. I had to quit reading for fear that I would suddenly develop some of them as I was reading the list! Of course, the way my memory is going, by the time I got to the end of the list, I would have forgotten what was at the beginning.

Do these mood swings mellow out? Because Next-to-Youngest daughter asked me the other day if I was going to be done with this PMS soon so that my honey and I can stop being so crabby. "Crabby? Us? You must be joking!" She just smiled a fake smile and looked back and forth at the two of us, waving her finger.

I haven't noticed any excessive crankiness myself, but maybe I'm just getting used to it. Come to think of it, I haven't seen much of my Augie Doggie lately. He tends to avoid me or hide under the bed when my voice gets a little shorter and louder than usual. So then I have to put a little extra sweetness in my voice. Kind of like adding extra sugar to my iced tea.

But it's like I have this running dialogue of negative responses going on in my mind within every conversation I have with someone. I'm smart enough never to let these sharp, sarcastic remarks actually come out of my mouth, but even I am surprised by some of the things that come to my mind! It's like listening to my evil twin. Silent subversive subtitles on auto-play. As Amy's 3-year-old nephew would say, "I don't like it." But my mother would say, "This, too, will pass."

Pray for me! No, better yet. Pray for my family! I think they need it more. :)

No comments: