Thursday, April 5, 2007

where do they keep the fingernail clippers?

I was shopping at Cub Foods the other day, and I wanted one of those small pairs of fingernail clippers. I knew exactly where they were in the store, or I thought I did, but when I looked in the aisle where they used to be, they were nowhere to be found. I walked around, and walked around, and finally gave up looking. I asked the pharmacist behind the counter if she knew where they were located. I hate when stores move things around! You just get used to it, and bang! Try again. I thought stores wanted you to be able to find things so you could buy them!

Anyway, when I asked the pharmacist, she lowered her voice slightly, and looked around. "They're back here behind the counter," she said. I beg your pardon? I thought they must have been out of them and had just gotten a shipment in. Maybe they just needed to restock. No. They keep them behind the counter now. I was so taken aback.

"Why do you have to do that?" I asked her. Get this. It is because of the "new" airline regulations. Okay. Stop right there. Think about this! What is the point of putting them behind the counter? They did not ask me for ID. (THAT would have been another post!) Honestly. I asked for them, and she gave them to me. What kind of barrier is that?

Is it so they can't be used as a weapon? If that's the case, any sharp object would do. A sharpened pencil is more lethal than a little pair of clippers. Do they think that someone who would want to take it on a plane to use as a weapon is too stupid to think to ask for them? But wait, maybe if they are dumb enough to want to use them as a weapon, maybe they would give up if they weren't on the shelf. Who knows?

The second implication, which I like even less, would be that the pharmacist, or whoever has them behind the counter, is only supposed to sell them to people who they think will not be trying to use them as a weapon. How do they tell the difference??? Because I'm a Caucasian woman, I'm not considered a threat? This is all very unsettling!

Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me, 'cause I'm sitting in the dark on this one!

3 comments:

luvmychichi said...

They had them behind the counter???? Are you kidding me, next you will have to buy toilet paper behind the counter. What is this world coming to. That is the most insane thing I have ever heard.

sunnyspot said...

I don't think you can bring toilet paper in your carry-on can you? I suppose you can if it's that softer kind, it's not as dangerous.

daisyaday said...

Follow-up:

Okay, I checked at Wal-Mart when I was there, and they definitely don't have their clippers behind the counter. Am I in the Twilight Zone here?