Wednesday, June 20, 2007

it's so quiet!

Moms with more than one child will vouch for the fact that when one of the children is gone to visit elsewhere, the rest of the household seems to be exponentially more quiet! I'm not sure how that works out mathematically, but the noise level has dropped since E-girl went to D-girl's house to babysit all week long.

It's one of the mysteries of parenthood that I have never solved. Another mystery is that when you go in to the hospital to have a baby, for example, when you return home, all of the children have grown significantly larger! I observed that every time I went in. Well, it happens when they leave, as well. I saw E-girl Monday for the first time in a couple of weeks, it seems like, and I'm sure she has grown at least an inch since she left. She looks a year older, too. How does that work??

It even works in pictures! Every time I see pictures of myself from the past, I've grown larger since they were taken. Wait. I'm really not liking where this is going. Hmmm . . . how do you reverse the trend? Walk backwards and shove the pictures back into the camera? Well, maybe the walking backward part would help, ya think?!



We were watching this show on TLC - Big Medicine. Have you seen it?? It's about people who need help to lose weight because they've gotten so out of control. It's like a bad train wreck for me. It's kind of a horrible fascination. I don't want to watch it, but I can't take my eyes off these people when the show is on. They are pretty brave to be on national TV and let all their dysfunctions hang out. Literally. You know, people who have other addictions or hang-ups can hide them fairly well. You can't just look at a compulsive gambler or a coke addict and immediately know that they have a problem. But overeaters wear their problems, not just on their sleeves, but on every other part of their body as well. Yes, I know I said I hide M&M's--no ahems necessary! Denial is the first stage of acceptance. (I wonder how long it lasts . . . )

I don't want to get to the point of needing Big Medicine, but when a person has a sit-down job, I think they really have to make it a priority to get up and get moving whenever possible. Let's see, I could add extra trips to the restroom. I could walk to one that is farther away when I go. I could walk around the desk and pick up microscopic pieces of flotsam and jetsam that make their way to the floor (or I could do a great job of pretending). I could walk on my lunch hour instead of reading or sitting.

I think sitting on a Bean Deluxe Exerciser at the desk instead of on a chair might be taking it a bit far, though, if you asked my boss. It probably wouldn't look very professional to be laying back doing crunches or bouncing around the desk area while I answer the phone or direct someone to the nearest facility. But it's sure fun to think about. Can you bounce on a Bean, do you think? Has anyone tried it yet?

2 comments:

Miss Paula said...

I have heard that sitting on this exercise ball can help with the tummy. Why I am sitting in a chair? I don't know!!

Yesterday my oldest went on an interview for a teaching job, he and his wife stopped by in the afternoon and he did look older! How does that happen? When you get that book written with the answer, please dedicate it to me!!!

BigMedicine said...

BIG MEDICINE Season 2 on TLC
Premieres January 9th 10pm EST/10pm PST/9pm CST

TLC’s hit show is back for its second season! Big Medicine returns with bigger and better stories than ever as individuals undertake drastic measures to take a bite out of their obesity. From a previously 1000lb man looking to take his first step in 7 years, to a devastated mother looking to complete her weight loss transformation after losing her daughter to suicide, the stories captivate, and inspire. We’ll see how obesity affects people’s sex lives, relationships and changes marriages forever. Tears will be shed, smiles will be shared, and hope will be instilled as Big Medicine proves there is light at the end of everyone’s tunnel!