Tuesday, June 5, 2007

what do you do with unexpected free time?

I have two free evenings this week that I didn't expect. Amazing. What do you do when that happens? It happens so rarely for me that I'm just in a tizzy trying to figure out what to do! It's a case of having too many choices. I could clean the kitchen. I could do some laundry in the middle of the week instead of waiting for the weekend. I could pick away at the stack of stuff at the end of my bed. I could vacuum and dust in the dining room. Those would be responsible things for a mother to do.

However, I don't feel I have to be particularly responsible right now. My honey already cooked dinner, the animals are fed and walked (those who need to be walked), and I hear the call of the outdoors. The dishes and the laundry will wait till tomorrow. The garden is calling my name. It's so faint I almost didn't hear it. I had forgotten how much fun it can be, but now that it's on my mind, the lure of fresh dirt and new six-packs of flowers is more than I can resist. I love putting plants in the ground. I love combining the different textures and colors to create a living work of art. But most of all, I love how the process always feels like having a day out with God. I feel so close to Him when I have my hands in the dirt He created, planting the exquisite flowers He designed. I get such satisfaction from creating a visual bouquet that with any luck will last all summer.

I wonder if He felt the same delight when He created me. Let's see...I'll give her a soft heart, full of compassion; a ready smile; a quick mind for learning; enough patience for eleven children (and a husband); a pinch of discipline; and an unending fountain of tears. I'll give her happy tears, sad tears, tears of empathy for others...oh, look! Her eyes even start to gloss over when she thinks about crying. I gave her just the right amount. Now, let Me look at her. I think she's just about right. I'll season her with experience, test her with frustration, bless her with the gifts I chose for her, and there. Just watch her grow into the woman I created her to be.

I'm off to play in the garden and to spend time with my Lord. Have a happy!

1 comment:

Miss Paula said...

He made you perfect. He also wants you to enjoy yourself, so go garden or just sit and watch the sun set!! It's OK!!