Friday, July 6, 2007

every day is a new adventure

I rented a movie because I knew the weather was going to be unbearably hot this weekend and I would want something to do inside.

G-girl said, in her “being patient-with-her-mother” voice, "Um, mom? You already rented that movie before."

Me, "Well, I don't remember renting it, so maybe I didn't watch it. I don't think I rented it before."

G-girl (with eyeroll), "Don't you remember? I told you I watched it, and I told you that it was a lame movie."

Well, if I hadn't remembered that I rented it before, did she think I would remember what she told me about it? Hello. Let's think about this carefully, and quickly, before I forget what I'm supposed to be thinking about.

So anyway, I’ve decided that this whole forgetting thing is just a great fringe benefit of getting old(er). Every day is a new adventure, and I get to enjoy things over and over because I can’t remember half the things I’ve already done. I tell my kids a story, and two weeks (or two days) later, I can tell them again, with great enthusiasm. The enjoyment lasts until they cut me off with, "Heard it, Mom," or, "Um, I was there, don't you remember?" Hmmmh!

Well, I can read a book, and two months later, I can check it out and read it again! I can see a movie, and once it fades out of the memory bank, I can enjoy it again — and not remember the ending till I get there! This is wonderful! Who said life goes downhill after forty?? Actually, on a side note, I don’t think under fifty counts as old. Even seventy is looking pretty good from here.

No comments: