Wednesday, July 4, 2007

just a nice day for a BBQ

Happy Fourth of July! I'm a party pooper when it comes to fireworks, though. I will get out of going to fireworks any way I can. I don't see anything fun anymore about going someplace that is crowded beyond all comfort, slapping mosquitos all evening, and fighting traffic for an hour and a half to drive five miles to get home.

I'm perfectly happy sitting at home and puttering around with something there. I used to love taking the kids to see them when they were little because they would get such a kick out of all the different kinds we'd see. They would name them: Long Haired Guy, Popcorn, and some were just Oooooooooooo! It was easy to get excited about them when the kids were so excited.

I remember watching fireworks with my dad when I was little, and I wasn't that excited about them then. We would go to the stadium in town, and I remember being so afraid that the sparks were going to fall down from the fireworks and burn me. I hated the noise. I'd scrunch my eyes tightly shut, cover my ears as hard as I could, squeeze in as close as I could to my dad and just cower underneath his arm until the fireworks were over. But it was still fun because I was doing it with my dad and my brother. Strangely, I don't remember my mom being with. Like mother, like daughter, I guess.

I guess the Fourth of July is whatever you make it. For me, it's more about family, food, and friends. Those seem to be the key ingredients whenever we want to celebrate something.

No comments: