Tuesday, July 17, 2007

there's a hazardous waste warning at my house

Well, it's not really. It could be hazardous. Some of it is probably surely waste. But it isn't toxic. Except to my sanity.

It's the black hole! The one and a half laundry baskets full of (groan) stuff at the end of my bed by the closet has multiplied, as it is so prone to do. I usually spread my things out a little in different rooms. It camouflages them and the piles don't seem so big. But now with D-girl and some of her stuff here, I have fewer places to put things that don't belong anywhere particular, so the increasing size of the black hole is that much more obvious.

I either have too many things (my honey would agree here), or I don't have enough Aways. I vote for the lack of Aways. How can I put anything away if I don't have an Away to put it in? My friend Beth is all about Aways. The more the merrier. I think that is why there are so many mini storage places now. Everywhere you look, there are businesses that make money providing Aways to store things. People just don't have enough Aways at home.

I'm reading Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World, by Sandra Felton. She says it's not about the house. It's about us and why we are messy. According to her, I must either save too much, have too much clutter, or waste too much time. Personally, I think it's a combination of all three.

She talks about the pack-rat who has the scarcity mindset. If we're mentally living on the verge of the next Great Depression, we squirrel things away so we have enough for the future. Well, if you can't walk in the bedroom, and if you have to climb over the bed rather than walk around it because there is too much stuff there, when the Great Depression hits, you won't know where to find your stuff.

Besides, in a depression, I am not going to be looking for a pair of size 14 capris that I might fit back into someday (that's another fairy tale in itself) or a cassette tape of the Chipmunk's Christmas, Vol. 2 that I haven't listened to since 1998. I will need food. Any food in that pile will be so long past its expiration date that it won't be safe to eat. Then it will fall into the category of hazardous waste.

There's only so much I can process in one sitting. I'll have to save the next segment of this exciting tale for another day. I wonder if she'll say anything about procrastination, or getting distracted. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Miss Paula said...

I know about the black hole. I can related!!! Sometimes I get in a black hole and I can't get out!