Sunday, August 5, 2007

and breathe...

Exhale again. Who knew it could feel so sad to have D-girl and X-man go again, when I knew it was temporary from the beginning?

They moved into their place yesterday. It's a nice house, older, but nice. What a challenge. Every time one of the kids moves, it reinforces my belief that I will just stay put here forever. Or until they drag me, kicking and screaming, to the old folks home.

I am going to do some serious weeding and tossing this next week. I can already see myself, dragging all these packed boxes around from place to place. "Oh, but I know I'll use that someday!" I've been that way since I was a kid, never wanting to throw anything out. I think I have boxes in the garage that were put there when we moved in years ago, and I haven't used them yet. It's a pretty safe bet I'm not going to use the stuff here, and I'm not going to use it in any next place I live.

It's time to go on a junk-free diet.

Day 1. Take inventory and identify problem areas. Hmmm...everything? Okay, I guess I have to be more specific. I used to be a crazy list-making fanatic, and I've even let that go. Maybe if I start gently, with just a list of what I see and what I know can go out, it will be a start. No sense in going too overboard. I'll just get discouraged. :)

Decluttering Your Life says to take it in small bites. Or at least if it didn't say that, it's still good advice. I have to dig out the book from underneath the other fifteen books and various papers that have been stacked on top of it.

Hey! That's a library book! I better make sure it's not overdue. Well, I can do that online. While I'm online, I can check my email. I can go through the pictures I just took of baby X-man and the Four Musketeers (the grandbabies that I don't see as often). I can check my bloglines and browse the new postings. Find new blogs to read. Make a few comments. Be inspired and write a new post. Be reminded of things I need to do this week. Update my resume. Wow, do I get sidetracked fast! No wonder the clutter piles up so fast.

Okay, I'm really going to go make a list. Truly. If I can find paper.

2 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I need to go on a junk-free diet too! :)

I'm stopping by to let you know, I’m hosting my second Pay It Forward Book Exchange giveaway. There are 7 other book giveaways linked up thus far in my post too, so there are lots of opportunities to win! Stop by for more details!

Miss Paula said...

You are getting far!!