Sunday, August 26, 2007

weekend thoughts

Why is it that every Friday I'm filled with anticipation, thinking about the things I am going to accomplish that weekend? Working full time doesn't give me much time to get things done after work, so I always think I'll get them done Saturday or Sunday. And every Sunday evening, I look back and think, "What in the heck did I do?!"

Well, I can say that I cleaned the kitchen and did all the dishes. (Which, by the way, was no small feat this time!) I got the grocery shopping done. We went to a fun barbecue at our friend Sue's house on Saturday. I made Black Bottom Cupcakes with a new and improved recipe that really turned out well, I thought. I miss baking. I don't particularly enjoy cooking, or miss it when I don't do it, though.

Oh! Oh! Speaking of cooking, I read most of Paula Deen's book, It Ain't All About the Cookin'! I could so be friends with her. Except she spends most of her waking moments working, which wouldn't leave much time for socializing. She is one sassy lady, and she's very down-to-earth. She has some recipes in there, and I wanted to write some of them down. But I just couldn't put the book down long enough to get pen and paper.

In fact, this might be TMI, but I was sitting in the ... powder room ... and my legs went to sleep because I couldn't put the book down! LOL. That hasn't happened for a loooooong time. And you know when you stand up, your feet are so tingly that you can't feel them. In fact you can't tell if they are actually touching the floor or not. It's such an odd feeling. But that's how interested I was.

That is actually a good thing to accomplish, at least in my book, because I can do dishes and clean the kitchen any old time. Reading, now that's a tough accomplishment for me these days, because I have so many things sidetracking me.

Oh, and, AND, I watched a movie, Premonition. Well, at least part of it. But I stepped out for a while because it was so strange I had a hard time understanding it. There were these flashbacks, and you couldn't tell which ones were real and which ones were a dream. Not very satisfying.

What a random post. But maybe I could share the recipe for the cupcakes. They are even better if you refrigerate them and eat them when they are chilled. Even the next day!

Black Bottom Cupcakes

Filling:

16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp sour cream

Beat cream cheese, sugar and salt till smooth, about 30 seconds. Beat in egg whites and 2 T sour cream until combined, about a minute. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.

Cake:

1 ½ cups flour
½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ cup sugar
½ tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
¾ cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl till well blended. Make well in center, add sour cream, water, butter, and vanilla and whisk just until dry ingredients are all incorporated and batter begins to thicken and smooth out.

Divide batter evenly between 24 cupcake liners, and top each batter with 1 rounded tablespoon of cream cheese mixture. Bake until tops of cupcakes just begin to crack, 23 to 25 minutes. Cool about ten minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Tops will sink as cupcakes cool.

Refrigerate uneaten cupcakes for up to three days--if they last that long!

2 comments:

Miss Paula said...

You are too funny and TMI!!!

The cupcakes look good but still too hot here to bake with only A/C in the living room and that is sparingly.

I did pick Paula Deen for my Friday's Feast. I just love it when she talks. I know I would pick it up fast if I lived in the South...

daisyaday said...

So you're in one of those HOT zones? You have my sympathy. Here in MN, we've had a drought, and the corn is shriveling up to dry bits. We got rain and cooler weather last week, but it was too late for many farmers. It's sad.