Saturday, September 15, 2007

my 'me button' is too large

The latest drama around our house is that I gave away G-girl's winter clothes by accident. A whole big black garbage bag full of them. Ai yi yi.

Well, she's not angry about it; she just wants them back. Now we know these people who we I gave them to. We just can't get a hold of them. They are never home or they never answer their phone. I have visions of them going through the clothes and bringing the rest of the bag to the Goodwill because that's exactly what I told them to do!

So the weather's getting colder, and I'm feeling guilty because she only has a couple of things to wear that are warm. She bought all those clothes with her own money, and I gave them away. I thought that was the bag she was talking about when she said "those" were the clothes she didn't want. I get more and more worked up about it every time I think about it. I said so again today, and her response was, "Mom, your Me Button is too big. It's not about you."

What?! Are you kidding me? She's derailing a perfectly good self-guilt trip and puncturing the "good mom takes responsibility" balloon I have going. "Yes it is," I say. "I gave them away. And what in the world are you talking about?"

"Well, we're learning in my class that if you take responsibility when you don't need to, your Me Button is just way too big. You think everything is about you." And she's holding her hands way out away from her. "A healthy Me Button?" She brings her hands back almost together. "More like this. It's not your fault." And she gives me that 'being patient with her aging mother' look.

I can't believe my ears. I'm the one who is supposed to be the calm, cool, and collected mature adult here. And I'm falling apart while she teaches me about grace and humility. Ah, God has such a sense of humor.

By the way, we got them back tonight. And, I might add, she left half of them there anyway. God just had something to teach me first, and I know He's just a-smilin' away at me.

1 comment:

Miss Paula said...

I love this saying, "Your me button is too big"!!!!!!

I will use this a lot I think!

As for the "List" in your earlier post, it is a long list. And I too have quite a few, but I hope my body odor doesn't change. That would be a tragedy because I don't smell!!!