Wednesday, September 5, 2007

opinions welcome here!

We watched a great movie this weekend...Tyler Perry's movie Daddy's Little Girls.

It had the flavor of the Batman and Robin shows I watched when I was a kid. (Yes, I know I grew up in a TV-free home because we didn't believe in watching TV, but I watched it at my friend's house anyway. My mom and dad would have been appalled if they had known.) Can any of you relate? *smile*

Anyway, in this movie, there are the stereotypical extremely bad characters who you just love to hate, and they are not terribly complex. They're just bad. Then you have the good guy and his helper. I'm trying not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it yet. And even though I know it's a tried and true formula, I was still itching for the good guys to just pop the bad guys a good one! LOL. Yeah, there were some rough spots where the movie kind of jumped into fast forward, but the assumptions we had to make were not brain stretchers.

There were some scenes that referred to drugs, but drug use wasn't obvious or glamorized. It was definitely a bad thing. I'm a sucker for a happy ending, and this one was good. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Well, what I'm asking you for is your opinions on good family-friendly movies that are out on DVD right now. I sometimes look at the reviews, but I find that very often the ones I like are nay-sayed by the critics. This one, for example, was only rated a 24 out of 100 on one site. Some of the movies that get rave reviews from the critics don't even hold my attention through the first fifteen minutes. *yawn*

I don't like creepy-anything, scary-anything, nasty-anything, explicit-anything, fighting-anything, stupid-anything, Westerns or sci-fi. Dance, gymnastics, singing, romance, humor, drama (within the above) -- two thumbs up. How's that for criteria?

So let's have it...what are your faves?

5 comments:

Miss Paula said...

I laughed through then cried in Tyler Perry's "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" so I may have to watch this one.

I have to think about the movies, nothing comes to my head except "Radio" it was a great movie. I don't see many so, Hmmmmm.

Rosemarie said...

http://growingwithjulia.blogspot.com/2007/09/babies-dont-keep.html

Thanks for giving me a portion of the poem Babies Don't Keep. I have wanted a poem referring to that specific subject of parenting and housekeeping. This is an older version (before I was born), but I'm still looking for a recent version expressing the same. If you come across it please let me know.

On to the movies...
I'm a movie reviewer for Christian Spotlight. The only problem is the reviews are very detailed and may spoil the show for you. Still a great resource!

I have found that instead of renting new movies I purchase older ones at a discount about $5 to $10, and maybe as high as $12 for a newer one, but that's my limit.

Here are a few of my favorites that I viewed this year:

Tyler Perry Movies/Plays
The Guardian
Annapolis
In Her Shoes
One Fine Day
Memoirs Of A Geisha
Made In America
Little Women
The Terminal
The Pursuit of Happyness
Runaway Bride
Funny Girl
Steel Magnolias
The Notebook
Beauty Shop
Patch Adams
Failure To Launch
Hotel Rwanda
Head Of State
Francis of Assisi
Hitch
Fried Green Tomatoes

I can dig up some more oldies but goodies just let me know!
Growing with Julia

daisyaday said...

I watched that one, Miss Paula, and I liked it! I don't see a lot of them either, but when I have time, I don't like to waste my time on a lousy movie.

Thanks for the suggestions, Rosemarie. I've actually seen many of those--we must have similar tastes. I'll check out some of the others.

I actually misquoted some of Babies Don't Keep, now that I've looked at the original poem again, but the thoughts still fit.

I think the one I found is the old version...there's a new one?

Miss Paula said...

I liked Rosemarie's list! It had my favorite, "Steel Magnolia's"!!

There are some on her list that I can watch over and over and never tire of. What about the Zorro movies too with Antonio Banderas.
I like the movie My Girl. The character is the same age as me in the summer of 1972 so I like it alot!

missyT said...

I hear that The Ultimate Gift is a thoughtful movie. And Miss Potter is a very nice movie. Finally, if you look past the fact that it is a kids movie, Ratatouille is great fun.

I haven't seen My Girl, but it sounds good.