Sunday, September 16, 2007

an unexpected (lovely) morning

I slept in today. I got up to let the dog out, and I got halfway down the hall when my honey stopped me. "You can't come out here right now." I looked at him like he was a little bit this side of loony. "Okay...I was just...letting Augie outside."

"I'll let him out. You can come out in a minute."

That was okay. I had a headache anyway. So I went back in the bedroom, took some ibuprofen, and laid back down for a minute.

He came to the door shortly after that and invited me to come back out.

When I got to the doorway of the living room, I swear my eyes bulged out of my head. There, on the little table we have out there, was a beautiful little breakfast for two all laid out. I think I started crying right there.

I could smell the freshly-ground coffee he had just poured into my cup. There were bright orange and yellow zinnias, black-eyed susans, and marigolds in a glass in the center of the table, and a pair of covered bowls sitting across from each other. When I lifted the cover, I found oatmeal made just the way I like it: thick, but not gluey, with golden raisins in it. The brown sugar and butter were on the table, along with a small pitcher of milk. One of my favorite breakfasts in the world! What a sweet, sweet man.

I sat down to eat, we prayed, and I opened the butter cover so I could put a little on my cereal, and there, carved into the top of the butter were the words, "LOVE YOU!" I couldn't see my oatmeal for the tears. He just sat and smiled at me. "I just wanted you to know how important you are to me."

Can I hear a collective "Aaaawwwwww" now? That man may be a little rough around the edges sometimes, but I'm tellin' you, he's got a heart of gold.

1 comment:

Miss Paula said...

You have a gem! What a great expression of love for you! You are blessed. Yesterday at church I prayed with a woman who had lost custody to all three of her children in a divorce. So cherish these moments with your dear husband!!