Saturday, October 20, 2007

a safe place to shoot up

I saw an article from the Associated Press that says how San Francisco is considering opening a safe-injection site where drug addicts can shoot up heroin, cocaine and other drugs under the supervision of a nurse, free from threat of arrest or prosecution. What a concept.

This goes against all logic and reason for me. Is this what our public policies have come to? To have a protected place where street-drug users can get high? Funded by public money? Have all these people lost their minds?

Of course, for those of you who say you don't want to pay for something like this, I've got a news flash. You already are. In San Francisco, for example, drug overdoses are involved in one out of every seven calls to the emergency department. Who do you think the expense gets passed on to when the patient cannot pay?

I also have to consider how I would feel if any one of my children was an addict. Would I want my children treated with dignity, or would I want others to disregard them and simply look the other way as they fell into that crevasse of addiction that lies between sanity and hell? I'm pretty sure I'd still want them treated with dignity, addict or not. On the other hand, if they are adults, they must be held accountable for their actions. So where does the line fall between compassion and consequence?

I'm not comfortable making a snap judgment without having enough information. I think I have to set my prejudices aside long enough to learn more about them before I dismiss them out of hand. Although that is easier said than done for a finger-pointing freak like me.

2 comments:

Becky K. said...

I truly wish they would spend the money on enforcing laws that prevent the infiltration of the drugs into our country and cities. So many times it seems that they make new laws rather than enforce what is already in place.
I am sure that it is not easy...but in an ideal world I think that would be the better place to spend the money.
Increase penalties and get rid of the drugs!
My 2 pennies!
Becky K.

Miss Paula said...

Here Here!! Becky.

The drugs are ultimately the user's choice. A wrong choice. I think they need to pay consequences for their wrong actions. Would you discipline your child for stealing?

The choices we make today, effect the way we live tomorrow! This is what my husband tells our kids.