Sunday, November 18, 2007

interior decorating by Micah

This verse has been showing up in different places in my life lately.

"He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."

It's from Micah 6:8. I just saw that on a bumper sticker recently, and it struck me how complete and concise that verse is. The pastor at a church I visited yesterday used this as the basis for his message on how to "decorate" a Christian home. This is what it would look, feel, and sound like if someone visited. Ideally.

Acting justly? It means not playing favorites and being consistent. Pretty basic, but not always easy to do, right? Oooh, the consistency got me. If I come home in a cranky mood, I tend to be a little snappy at people, not intentionally, but snappy all the same. I don't see myself as playing favorites, but I guess the kids are the ones who are on the receiving end, so they could tell me better if I do that.

Loving mercy? I have an easier time with that. I don't hold grudges, and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I just have this little judgmental side that sneaks out every so often. The more aware of it I am, the easier it is to catch myself. Forgiving those people who have hurt my family is probably the one where I have the hardest time.

But acting justly and loving mercy also means that you have to step out of your own little world and help other people who are not as fortunate as you are. I need to look for more opportunities to make a small difference in the lives of those around me. Random acts of kindness are so much fun. And planned acts of serving others make you feel just as good. As my honey always says, Those who have, have a responsibility to take care of those who have not. It's not about dying with the most toys, kids!

Walking humbly with my God? I love the way the Message says it. Don't take yourself too seriously, but take God seriously. Be able to laugh at yourself. I have plenty of chances for that. I'm kind of dorky, as my kids are more than happy to point out to me, but you know what? Nobody can be cool all the time. It's more fun to be dorky, anyway. It gives you lots of opportunities to laugh, and laughing is good for you!

So there, paraphrased succinctly, are the top three home decorating tips from Micah. Lots of food for thought for the week for me.

3 comments:

Miss Paula said...

That is the verse on the header of my blog Juliana!!!

We are studying Micah in Sunday mornings!!

daisyaday said...

Yes! That's where I've seen it, too. How cool that you have that!

I love that when God is making a point with me, he speaks to me from everywhere.

His Girl said...

I needed that today.... more than I can say! Thanks for the great post!