Friday, November 9, 2007

too tired to tango

It's been a loooong week. But it's almost over, and I have Monday off. I just seem to be dragging myself through the day. Do you think it's because fall is here, and the clocks have been turned back? It's almost dark out now when I go home from work.

It's a day when I would just love to cuddle up on my bed with some Sugarland and Selah in the CD player, some Pecan Sandies, a cold glass of milk, a bunch of magazines to clip, and my Discovery Journal. You can call it a scrapbook or an All About Me journal, but I happen to like the name Illustrated Discovery Journal. It sounds like a journey, like travels to another land, only you get to do it from the comfort of your own cozy bed (or chair, as the case may be).

If you've read Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance, you know what I'm talking about. I don't buy into everything in her book, but I do like the principles she proposes. Gratitude, Simplicity, Order, Harmony, Beauty and Joy. Gratitude takes us out of our selfishness. Simplicity streamlines. Order brings peace. Harmony speaks for itself. Beauty is food for our eyes and heart. And joy? A gift from God.

Well, unfortunately I don't get to play right now. I get to make dinner for my ravenous family. We are having homemade calzones tonight. I guess you could call them semi-homemade because I use refrigerated biscuits. They're still a little time consuming to roll out, but yummy to eat. Comfort food, if you ask me. I'll share the recipe. They're even delicious the next day if you heat them in the microwave. We dunk them in pizza sauce.

Cheesy Sausage Calzones recipe

Source: Pillsbury Crescents Biscuits & More - March 2004

1/2 pound bulk Italian pork sausage
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 (10 ounce) can Pillsbury Grands
2 ounces (1/2 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce, heated

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

In medium skillet, combine sausage, onions and bell pepper; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Drain. Cool 10 minutes.

Separate dough into 5 biscuits. On ungreased large cookie sheet, press each biscuit to form 6-inch round. I cut the sides of a large baggie open, spray the insides of it with cooking spray, put the biscuit in between them to roll it out with a rolling pin. Top half of each biscuit round with sausage mixture and cheese to within 1/2 inch of edge. It takes a couple of tablespoons. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly with fork to seal.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve warm calzones with warm pasta sauce for dipping.

YUMM-O!

No comments: