Sunday, December 2, 2007

the first real snow

We had our first real snow of the season. It was snowing when I got up this morning. Well, it wasn't quite morning. I think it was just after noon. I can't even describe how good it felt to sleep in! I stretched, and I smiled, and then when I looked out the window and saw the snowflakes flittering their way to the ground, it was like a Christmas card morning.

Do you know how many times I thought that I would never get to sleep in again? When I was a teenager and didn't have school or other things I had to do, I always slept in like that. Some parents used to make their kids get up early even on vacation days or weekends, but my mom used to let me sleep in. I'm so glad! But then after I had kids, I resigned myself to the fact that I'd be tired the rest of my life because I would have to be up early every day. I am a born night owl. In fact as I'm typing right now, it's almost 1 a.m. and I'm barely sleepy. However, I am going to bed soon because I'm planning on being up by eight tomorrow.

But the snow today was so beautiful. The squirrels were hanging upside down from the bird feeder and racing around the yard in a frenzy. The rabbits were hippety hopping all over the yard, checking it out like they thought they had a brand new playground. They were all going crazy in the fresh snow. And my beautiful coneflower seedheads were all wearing matching puffballs of white powder. The day was absolutely gorgeous.

Sometimes it's just necessary to slow down and enjoy the snow--especially when your good friend/neighbor comes over with his bobcat and cleans out your driveway, lickety split. AND won't even let you pay him! And then when kids go out and clean up the rest of it with a shovel? It's easy to enjoy the snow! Thanks everyone! Thank you, God, for a beautiful day.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

How fun!! I live here in southern Ca and we have no snow! I would love to wake up one morning and see snowflakes falling! Sounds like you were blessed with a peaceful morning!

daisyaday said...

I whine about the cold, but I do think I would miss seeing the snow. But maybe about a day or so would do it for me. I could move someplace warm, and come back just to visit. Be the opposite of a snowbird.