Sunday, December 9, 2007

my de-lovely house needs to be de-junked

I don't think I realized this until I started blogging. I obsess about all my junk ALL THE TIME! And I never finish de-junking completely. There is always stuff left out that makes my house look like a forgotten storage room in somebody's basement.

I think the key is to simplify, simplify, simplify. If I don't have all that stuff piled up, I don't have to sort it out or move it from place to place. Or pick it up after a tall, precarious stack of miscellaneous "important" things tips over onto the floor.

All I do is talk about it. Complain about it, actually. Well, I take a few stabs at it periodically. I really need to change that, and set goals about it. My goal is to de-junk my house and throw away all the stuff I don't need that has been piled up in my bedroom (and other places) for the last four nineteen years. Obviously if I haven't used it in that time, I probably won't have a need for it in the next nineteen years.

I've gotten it down to just one Cub Foods tote in my room--several times! But the junk is like a little piece of a root from a yellow loosestrife plant. If you've ever made the mistake of planting that in your garden, you know EXACTLY what I mean! It takes forever to get rid of it, and it will take over and dominate your garden!

It's like the Veggie Tales "Gossipweed" episode. Have you seen it? It's hilarious!! One little snippet of gossip grows like wildfire, and it takes on a life of its own. Well, my house is the same way. All I need to leave out is one loose piece of junk. It sprouts into several dozen more pieces within minutes, I swear, and before I know it, it's infiltrating, taking over the entire house!

1 comment:

Becky K. said...

Veggietales are so funny.

I relate to the "piles". I wish i weren't a "piler". My husband really wishes so too.

I am attempting to do better, but have not become perfect yet.
Becky K