Tuesday, December 25, 2007

unto us a Savior is born...

We went to a Christmas Eve service last night, and the music was beautiful. As we sat on the long, padded pew singing along to the Christmas carols, I was overcome with a wave of nostalgia. The music, particularly when we sang together in church, was my favorite part of Christmas when I was little.

The choir sang "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" a capella in a gorgeous harmony, and I remembered that my mom used to have a recording of that song. It was as if suddenly I was a child again, sitting on the couch listening to music with her. Tears welled up in my eyes, and a yearning for her swept over me. I think I barely breathed through the entire song.

The service continued with more songs and stories, and once it was over, we made our way out to the car though the crowd of well-wishers and drove home.

There were a lot of gifts, cooking items, and leftovers from our family Christmas Eve dinner get-together that we needed to bring in in the house. It took several trips in and out of the house to get it all inside. Each time I walked out to the car for another trip, the beauty of the silent night sky took my breath away.

The moon and the stars glinted off the light snow that was falling, adding a mystical frost to the very air I was breathing. The sky was simply glorious. I felt such a strong sense of peace outside in the night. I imagined that if I were in Bethlehem, I could just go to that stable, and there He would be, this baby Saviour.

The Lincoln Brewster song, Another Hallelujah, started playing on the little jukebox in my head. Time stood still for a moment, and I stood there singing. As each tiny snowflake drifted quietly to the ground, I just lifted my hands in awe and wonder, worshiping the God who created this beauty. It was a perfect ending of a lovely day.



3 comments:

Mrs. D said...

It sounds like you had a magical Christmas!

Virginia Wieringa said...

This is perfectly lovely.

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Reading your biography tells me you have a very full life!! Thanks for taking the time to look at my work. We are sisters in the Spirit.

Becky K. said...

I had a similar experience to your Christmas Eve service. We attended a Moravian Christmas Eve service and memories flooded back of family members now gone. My Dad, Warren's Dad, Warren's Grandma...she was Moravian and we always had gone in to her church on Christmas Eve.
I am blessed to still have my mother...that will definitely be the hardest parental loss when that happens!

Blessings!
Becky K.