Monday, December 3, 2007

the upper hand

On our way in to town this morning, we saw a fancy schmancy sports car up in someone's yard, and judging from the tracks in the snow, they had just recently slid in there from the icy road.

I said to Gee, "Oooh, he musta been hot doggin' it."

She looked at me with one eyebrow raised.

I asked, "Didja see that car in the ditch?" She nodded. "I said he must've been hot doggin' it." There was another long pause. "Do you know what hot doggin' it means?"

"Nope," she said.

"He was driving too fast," I said smugly. "But you didn't know what hot doggin' it was because you're not old enough." That, I thought, would regain a little ground for me, since I catch so much flak for being old these days. I thought too soon.

She stared at me. "We just call it driving too fast."

I can't win. I snickered, then burst out into laughter. The best part of the whole thing is that she had no idea why I was laughing. Finally, I had the upper hand...I knew something she didn't. Only now, I've forgotten what it was! So I'm laughing all over again.

No comments: