Sunday, January 13, 2008

the bread recipe works!!

Okay, here is the skinny on the artisan bread recipe. IT WORKS!! And it tastes good. I'm definitely buying the book.

It passed the fussy eaters test, and it passed the hungry eaters test. It has a nice moist inside, a crunchy toothy crust, and a marvelous flavor. This bread tastes good even without butter! And I'm a butter girl. Bread NEEDS butter.

And the bread is GONE. An hour after I baked it, it was gone.

Here is the first loaf on the left, and it was so easy I shaped a second loaf. In five minutes.



Isn't it gorgeous? This is the second loaf. Look at the beautiful air pockets in this bread.





Here are the things I learned, though.

~ Mix the dough thoroughly. When they say to make sure that all the pockets of flour are mixed in...they're not kidding. If you don't, the flour will make a funky floury spot in the middle of your bread. You don't have to overmix it, but you do want to whip it around a little with your wooden spoon so that those lumps go away. (If you look at the first picture above very carefully, you will see one of the floury spots right in front making a bump in the dough.) It won't ruin the bread, but it's nicer if you don't have them.

~ Cut the slices in the top of the dough RIGHT BEFORE you are putting it in the oven. Not when you first set it down to raise, which is what I did the first time. It didn't ruin it, but it spread out more to make more of a flatbread instead of raising up to make a higher loaf.

~ After you bake the bread, scrape the cornmeal off the baking stone if you want to make another loaf of bread right away. Otherwise it will bake till it's black and stick to the bottom of your next loaf. Again, not a disaster, just a nice touch.

I can rest peacefully now, with Miss Ambition Monster temporarily tamed. I don't know for sure what she looks like (the ambition monster), but I'll leave you with this. Claire at SleepKnitting has created something that is close to what I have imagined her to be:

5 comments:

daisymarie said...

How is it toasted?

Okay, I thought it was a knited Gumby.

Alicia said...

Looks so yummy!!!

daisyaday said...

LOL...okay, it is kind of Gumbyesque, but with more teeth!

I haven't toasted it yet--that'll be breakfast at 5:30 in the morning. Speaking of...I gotta go to bed.

But it's so easy. Don't be afraid to give it a try.

Here's a more complete recipe.

Flea said...

How long did you bake it?

daisyaday said...

Blieve it or not, it bakes for 30 minutes at 450°--I thought it would burn to a crisp! But I'm sure the water in the pan has something to do with it, too.