Thursday, January 24, 2008

disturbing entertainment

Did anyone watch the show after American Idol last night: The Moment of Truth? I watched most of it, mostly because I was too tired lazy to get up off my duff. I don't think it's going to fly.

It's too slow, it's too fake, and even though you know they know all the questions already, it feels like you're watching someone pin a butterfly onto a cork board. Ick. Why does anyone think that they can go through a public humiliation like that and come out the same on the other side of it?

If an issue in a relationship is not acknowledged publicly, there is a chance that you can work through it and come up with something that is viable. But after all your dirty laundry, everything you think, even, is laid out on the table in its worst possible interpretation, does anyone imagine that nothing will change?

Dysfunctional families maintain their dysfunctionality by NOT acknowledging the problems that are glaringly obvious to everyone else. Don't tell Mom. Don't confront Dad. So even families that have less serious issues often let them slide. You choose your battles. You figure out which ones are worth fighting for, and you let some things go.

On the flip side, there's just something about telling the entire truth in its ugliness that is therapeutic. Now if these people talked about all these issues privately before the interview happened, that could be a cleansing process. It's like a "good news/bad news" kind of thing.

So......would YOU go on this show? I know for a fact that I would NOT. They would start asking me questions about my kids, and if I have a favorite child, and blah, blah, blah. I'd get so stressed thinking about that, worrying that my kids would think I did have favorites, that when I told them I don't have any (favorites, not kids), it would read as FALSE! Then I'd be in deeeeep doodoo.

No comments: