Sunday, January 6, 2008

homemade bread in five minutes a day



Am I the only person who has not heard of this book? I happened to see it at Barnes & Noble when I was there yesterday, and I was so intrigued when I read (skimmed) through it. I've been looking for a recipe for artisan bread because we have this great bakery in town that makes yummy artisan bread, but I don't always have the four plus bucks to shell out for a loaf of bread.

I did a search online to find out more about it, and apparently people were trying to find it everywhere before Christmas. It was sold out everywhere. Everyone wanted it. Well, there were stacks of them last night. They must have caught up with the demand. I can't believe I never heard of it!

I like to bake bread. Or I used to, before I started working full time. Then I kind of gave it up because it takes too long. But this book is called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Five minutes. I can do five minutes!

Here is a little video that tells about how to do it. No kneading, no raising for hours and hours, just mix with a spoon, let sit a couple of hours, shape, and bake. Keep it in an ice cream bucket and make a loaf a day. You can keep the dough in the fridge for a couple of weeks if you make a big batch...I have to try it! Today!

5 comments:

Leisha said...

I have not heard of this method either so that makes 2 of us! I got a grain mill for Christmas and have been anxious to being my bread making adventures - I will certainly be checking back in to see how this works out for you ! Thanks for the info !!

Blessings,

Leisha

daisymarie said...

Ok. I'm intrigued. I want to hear how it turns out for a real person. Just don't tell me that there's no way I can ruin it---coz I'll have to find one...sigh.

That actually does look like something I could maybe almost do and since one of my goals is 3 new recipes...I really wanna know if this one will work...for even me!

Becky K. said...

I want to try this! It looks so yummy!
I just love going into bakeries and seeing and smelling all of those pretty breads.
Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to make some...
Thanks!
Becky K.

Wendy Moira Angela Darling said...

Hi, I linked to your site from "Engage the Journey." I watched the video, it made me wonder what else is in the book? I'll have to check it out. Do you grind your own wheat? I grind my own wheat, and have been for years (do they say anything in the book about using fresh-milled flour?) Bread made from fresh milled flour is awesome! Store bought bread or bread made with store bought flour tastes like cardboard to me now (well, not totally true, I still like some of Panera's bread ;-) ).

Peace
Wendy

daisyaday said...

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm making it today. It sounds simple enough. And you bake it on a baking stone. That'll be new for me.

I'll have to improvise on the pizza board that they raise the loaf on. I don't have one of those--not even in any of my piles of assorted junk around the house. Fiddle!

I'm intrigued by this grinding of wheat...I do grind my own coffee beans but I don't grind wheat. Yet.

They just say to use all purpose flour. But I'm sure you could use fresh-milled flour.