Sunday, January 20, 2008

more tales from the hibernating household

For those of you in warmer climates, it's been below zero for most of the past three days! I feel like I'm living in a cave. On the bright side, there was nothing much else to do, so we cooked! Our house was full of yummy smells today.

I got to sleep in today. It was absolutely heavenly. When I got up, though, I was as hungry as a small bear. I put some coffee going right away for Mugs. She had finished up the dishes left from last night while I was snoozing. What a sweetheart. It was so much fun having her here for the weekend.

After I made the coffee, I heated up this delicious frozen garlic chicken. It has broccoli, carrots and corn in it, along with rotini pasta and chunks of chicken in a light garlic sauce. See, I could cook like that every day of my life and not get tired of it. I hate to cook meals. It wouldn't bother me at all to eat like that.

My honey, on the other hand, loves to cook (and eat) real food (as opposed to "heat-it-up" food), and he made an Emeril recipe for dinner today. It was some form of Parmesan chicken, and it was divine! It's really too bad that Mugs didn't stay long enough to have dinner, because she would have loved it.

He roasted tomatoes and garlic together in the oven to make this rich intense tomato sauce. Then he seasoned and browned the chicken breast, put the tomato sauce over it, put mozzarella cheese on top of that with a little smoked Gouda cheese. He baked that in the oven, broiled it for a bit to brown the cheese on top, and voilĂ ! Dinner delight!

After dinner was cleaned up, I made orange cranberry scones, which were wonderfully tender and tasty. It's no wonder that people put on weight in the winter time. Maybe I need to move to a warmer climate.

On the bright side, however, I think the boys went out fewer times for a cigarette over the weekend because it was so stinkin' cold out there. Anything that makes them smoke less is a good thing in my eyes. I guess that's one positive thing about the cold weather.

Speaking of smoking, here's a short clip about quitting that I got in my email.



I guess that would do it!

4 comments:

Rosemarie said...

That meal your honey made sounds delish!

daisyaday said...

Oh, it was! It was much better than my garlic chicken.

daisydreamer said...

Less is always better.
I'd be lost or at a restaurant or heating up everything if I didn't have Nelson here to cook.

daisyaday said...

Life is good when somebody in the house cooks! I'm glad it's not always me.