Tuesday, January 29, 2008

project update!

My Monday was very productive. It's kind of a long story, but I'll try to shorten it up here.

Okay, I've been posting about my bedroom closet project. Yesterday I was determined to get something done on it. We're working on the living room--have been for a couple of years, actually--and I've been wanting to move some stuff around out there, too. Yes, I said a couple of years. I'm telling you. I am easily sidetracked.

So I used to have my scrapbooking stuff by the front door, taking up not too much space there. Then D-girl and X-man started staying here more often, and their stuff got added to my pile. I took my stuff out and organized it into new containers that I bought--on clearance, of course. But her things were still taking up most of the entry. My things were neatly stacked by the wall on the other side of the living room.

So anyway, where do you think people started leaving their shoes, and coats, and mittens, and boots, and hats...I think you get the idea? They were ALL OVER...everywhere in the living room and spilling over into the dining room sometimes. In fact, sometimes it all started creeping down the hall towards my room. It had to be stopped! Can you imagine if the black hole from the living room met the black hole in my bedroom closet? It'd be like the Poltergeist on speed stopping by for a not-so-friendly visit. You'd never see the floor again until we moved or died! Oh my goodness. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

So I took action yesterday. I moved my scrap stuff into my bedroom, piling it on the bed, at the end of the bed, and next to the closet. By the time I was done bringing my things in there, the stuff was falling off the other side of the bed onto the floor. I felt a little shiver of fear go up my back, you know? What if I never got it clean again? I just clenched my teeth and ignored it, though, and kept piling the stuff up in there.

I switched the stuff around in the living room, making space for everything that had been in the entry. So now, there will be order and space in the living room. At least temporarily. Hurray!!

Well, back in my room, I cleaned out one end of my closet and cleared one shelf. I started putting my things in there, but by the time I filled up the space in the closet, I hadn't even made a dent in the piles in the room! I couldn't believe it. There was no space left in the closet OR in the bedroom. You couldn't see the floor, and you couldn't see the bed. I don't know how that happened!!

E-girl comes in and peeks around the corner with this dubious look on her face. I was standing almost in the closet, surrounded by boxes, filled garbage bags, and stacks of books and clothes. "Are you standing there because you are stuck? Do you need water? Can I help you?"

Oh, what a helpful child. Too bad she didn't have a magic wand to finish the job. Or a nice genie in a lamp to whisk it all away.

Then my honey came to the door. I think he was hoping to go to bed. That's what I call wasted hope. I started piling things up next to the closet, stacking it up about shoulder-high. They were well-balanced piles, though, and I felt pretty confident that they would stay there.

On the bright side, he was nice enough to put up the shelf I asked him for, though. We put the little TV on there, along with the DVD player, which made a ton of space on the dresser. Of course then the only problem was cleaning the inch-thick layer of dust that had accumulated underneath all that stuff. This is the dustiest house I have EVER seen in my entire life. Ever.

It was about an hour later when my honey finally came to bed. He didn't pay much attention to the closet until morning, but when he took a closer look in the daylight, he was scared, too. "What is that?! It's going to fall on me if I take a nap in here. You'll see it in the paper. Man eaten alive by black hole, never to be heard from again."

I was laughing. "No, it won't reach the bed if it falls. All you have to do is check to make sure you can find all the cats and the dog if it tips over."

"Oh, sure," he says. "Look for the cats. I see where I rate. Right down there after the cats. Even other people's cats. If the pile falls, I'm not looking for any cats." He and the cats have a love-hate relationship. He talks trash about them, and they get even by trying to trip him when he walks across the room.

Well, I got home today and the pile was still standing. I was going to clean out the other end of the closet, but I made a yummy taco salad for dinner and then, I had to watch American Idol. And since everyone was too noisy for me to really hear it very well, I played it back again. Loudly. Several times. No closet cleaning out tonight.

4 comments:

Becky K. said...

You crack me up!

I know I have said this before but we must be sisters separated at birth....when you write I am there. I have experienced that! Piles, I know piles...I know the expectations of completing a mission to be waylaid by life! I get that!
Keep writing. I am enjoying it immensely.

Thanks for the kind words about my ailment....still hurting like the dickens today!

Thanks, too, for liking my new look in the bathroom. I am excited to finish it before my husband gets home tomorrow but this pain - yikes!

Hope your day is awesome!

Becky K.

Tanna Clark said...

It always looks worse before it gets better! At least at my house. I try to be a little neater about it when I visit my clients. If I were closer I would so be there to help you tackle those piles. Thanks for the comment on my Kid Art post. Lovely blog you have here. I noticed you put Benny and Joon down for one of your favorite movies..... Love it!!!

daisyaday said...

Thank you for the encouragement, you two! I'm thinking furiously about how I can cram in some cleaning time this weekend. Tonight my honey wants to go out to eat...well, I don't want to pass that up. Tomorrow morning IF I get up early might work. But the kids are coming over to do their taxes...that will take a lot of the time Saturday. Sunday afternoon...that might have to be my project time. But I'm more excited to do it again. Thank you!

Qtpies7 said...

I was so close to even your profile up to age 36... I was married at 17 and had a baby at 18, and I had 7 kids in 15 years. So close! I am 36 now. Even came close to a divorce, but we made it through.

I also totally relate to the piles and the full closets. It is scarey. I don't even know what color the rug is in my bedroom anymore.