Tuesday, January 15, 2008

welfare who?

I recently received this "pass it on" email in my inbox, and although I understand that there is a stereotype of people who are on welfare, I find that this type of dialogue does absolutely nothing to solve the problems that cause people to have to use welfare in the first place.

I quote (and please excuse the language) verbatim:

URINE TEST (I sure would like to know who wrote this one! They deserve a HUGE pat on the back!)

Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test with which I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their ASS, doing drugs, while I work. . . . Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check ? Pass this along if you agree or simply delete if you don't. Hope you all will pass it along, though . .. . Something has to change in this country -- and soon!


Pretty strong language there. I have a sneaky hunch that the urine test has nothing to do with it. People can get very snarky about having to pay taxes and thinking that "their" money is being given to someone who is lazily coasting along on the hard work of others.

Well, they should chew on this for a while. Most (two thirds) of the people on welfare are actually children, not adults.

Now, you're going to start talking all this smack about kids, who have no control over their lives?

Here's some more food for thought:

It's not just a bunch of teenage mothers, either. Most welfare mothers first gave birth when they were adults, not teenagers.

MYTH: Welfare mothers have lots of children.
REALITY: More than 80 percent of welfare families have only one or two children.

MYTH: The monthly benefit checks are generous.
REALITY: The average check for a family is $373. YOU try making it on $4,476 a year.

"Most of the things people think about welfare recipients are wrong," said David Kass of Children's Defense Fund, an advocacy group for children. "And stereotypes lead to policy decisions that could ultimately hurt children. Because when people think about welfare, they don't think about children. They think about coming down on the parents."

I'll throw in a final quote from my honey: "The people who have money have an obligation to take care of those who do not. When this country loses its compassion, we are in serious trouble."

I'm not accepting any more snarky emails, thank you very much. My blood pressure can't take it.

3 comments:

jenny's mama said...

Add to that the emails that say in them somewhere, "And why do I have to push 1 for English?"

Unless you're Native American, your ancestors came from someplace else, too. Take a break.

d.t.x. said...

Amen to that Jenny's mama. I agree with you. I am sick of the comment "if your going to come to this country you better speak English". Pretty sure a huge percentage of our ancestors didn't speak English when they came to this country.

Sammi said...

Good post! Welfare can be a good thing if it's not abused, just like anything. and you're right, it's not the children's fault.