Thursday, February 21, 2008

are you sure it's not Monday?

I have to confess. I am severely lacking a positive attitude today. I think I shocked my youngest child speechless this morning when I cursed out loud! I usually don't swear, you know? It's not me, and besides, I really do try to set a good example for the kids, but I just lost it today.

So this morning in the hallway, one of the four cats we now have in the house got a bee in his bonnet and took off down the hall at a dead run. Fine, whatever. The only problem was that he dug his claws into my foot to get better traction and gouged skin chunks out of my foot. I took a couple of deep breaths. It could be worse. I went into the kitchen to make coffee.

Then, Er-girl missed the bus (I didn't wake her up in time, and she doesn't use an alarm clock because it would wake the baby.) So then, I knew I was going to be late cuz I had to drop her off at school before I went to work.

I started making an egg sandwich to take with me for breakfast. I burned my hand on the coffeepot reaching for the butter. I had a bunch of papers on the counter, and I knocked them off and they went flying everywhere.

When I made my egg sandwich, the butter was cold so it didn't melt on my toast. The orange marmalade was laying between cold chunks of butter instead of melting together with the butter the way it was supposed to. Whatever. The eggs were going to be hot--they'd melt the butter. Let it go, I told myself. Just let it go. Yes, I do put jelly on my egg and cheese sandwiches, just in case you're wondering if you read that right. I do like them with grape jam, but orange marmalade is really the best. Truly.

I was finishing making my sandwich, and the eggs fell into a messy heap on the plate instead of sliding neatly onto my toast. That was the last straw. I spooned the eggs back onto the toast, and because the eggs were in a lump instead of laying flat, the sandwich was about two inches thick. I slapped the other piece of toast on top of the eggs, and slammed my hand down to flatten the sandwich. Of course, egg went flying everywhere out the sides of the sandwich onto the floor. I wanted to cry but I was too mad already. I think that was when I swore.

My honey warned the kids to stay out of the kitchen, which didn't make me feel one bit better. I think he was trying to cheer me up, but I just wanted to be left alone to pout and throw my fit.

Then, on the way to work, my honey called me and informed me I forgot my lunch in the fridge. Of course I did. What else could I expect. I think today is a Monday in disguise since I didn't have a working Monday this week. I slept in on President's Day. Monday must have been laying in wait for me.

Don't you think I could have a "Do-Over" button installed somewhere? I could start the whole darn day over again and have it be Thursday instead of Monday.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

You poor thing! I would call that a Monday too! Its like when your day starts out wrong, it tends to end that way! Hopefully by now you are feeling Friday! Yay!

daisy said...

Yes. Today was much better! Thank you very much for your nice words!

SandyHills Momma said...

See, I thought it was just me ... but NOW I know. If you don't do Monday, it sneaks up on you later in the week!

LOVE your blog, can't wait to read more of it!!