Thursday, March 13, 2008

a good book and its reader are soon parted

I was going to post my thoughts on the Idol elimination, but I just read Matthew Raley's first novel, Fallen, and I would rather write about that right now. I just don't want to think about the fact that David Hernandez was let go. I want to put my fingers in my ears and sing loudly in reverse so I could go back and not hear it. Then maybe it wouldn't be true. Oh. I guess I'm writing about it anyway!

Well, Fallen was just released in February, so I had a tough time getting it at the library. I had to buy it, but it was so worth it! The first scene pulled me right into the story. Jim, the chairman of the board of a rapidly growing church, happens to see the head pastor of the church stepping out of a car at the local coffee shop. The driver is a woman, and is definitely not the pastor's wife.

What would YOU do? What Jim does is the rest of the story. It's a story as old as the world, but just as fresh as today. Today we speak much of grace, forgiveness and love. But should those qualities share the seat with accountability and consequences for wrongdoing? Was there wrong done?

The reader gets to sit in on the conversations and the self talk in Jim's head. I found myself dragged back and forth, able to see both sides of the situation right along with Jim. Oh, I'm just dying to tell you more about it, but I really don't want to ruin the book for you.

I started it today, and I finished it today! I haven't done that with a book for a long, long time.

2 comments:

Becky K. said...

You make it sound very intriguing!
I'll have to hunt down that book.

I am getting desperate for a book that I can't put down.

Becky K.

Happy Panda said...

Guess who won prize #87?
Yep it's you! Please be patient while the prize donor is contacted. They will be in touch with you soon. Congratulations!!!!!!!