Saturday, March 15, 2008

wrong is wrong

You know what I love about my honey? He's so totally honest about everything. He's not afraid to stand up for what he thinks is right. I could learn some things about that from him.

Take tonight. We went to a Sat night service at a church that he had not been to before. They rent space in another church because they don't have their own building yet. The pastor came by and introduced himself to us. My honey and I made our way to the restroom before we went to sit down, and I was waiting for him in the hall. After he came out, we were headed toward the sanctuary when he just stopped dead in his tracks, and his face completely fell.

I followed his eyes up the wall and saw what he saw. "I can't stay here," he said. The Mississippi state flag was hanging there, and if you've not seen it before, it looks much like the confederate flag. If you want to see him get riled up in a hurry, just fly one of those around.

I was looking at it and realized that it was there with a few other flags, and the caption said, Places We Have Served. I pointed that out, but it didn't matter. He sat for a minute and decided he couldn't do it. He couldn't sit, knowing it was in the same building, so we left.

It's nothing against Mississippi in general, but it just isn't appropriate to have any symbol like that hanging in a public place, particularly a church. "Southern pride", you say? NOT. It's like hanging a swastika in a church. People can defend it all they want. It doesn't matter. It's wrong.

As we were walking out, the pastor stopped us and said, "You're not going to stay?" My honey explained the situation to him, and he said, "Well, we'll just take it down, then. If you want the truth, it offends me, too." And he did. Just like that.

I think I said that it is not their facility...they are just borrowing the space from the church that owns the building. So it wasn't their idea to put it up. But. Still not okay. It made me feel quite creepy.

I love that my honey has to do that. I would so rather have an honest man who is blunt, than one who is so smooth that butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, but he won't stand up for what is right.

3 comments:

the feathered nest said...

Wow, that wonderful but if it offended the pastor why didn't he just remove it before? Sounds like you have a great man there - a real keeper!

Manuela

Kristi said...

I am impressed both that you hubby spoke up in an appropriate way when he was feeling so offended, but also with the pastor for following through with action.

Kim said...

Integrity!