Saturday, April 5, 2008

but everyone else is doing it...

There's one thing I don't like about spring here in Minnesota. Every morning when I'm driving to work, the sun is at the perfect angle to completely blind me. If I put my visor down low enough to block the sun, I can't see the road. If I put my visor up high enough to see the road, the sun is directly in my eyes. Sunglasses don't even help. It happens around September again. Equinox time.

Well, the other morning, I was giving my daughter a ride to high school. I was coming up to the intersection, and I couldn't even see the color of the traffic lights. The sun was right at the level of the lights, so I couldn't even look at them. The left turn lane had a few cars waiting in it, and the traffic from the opposite way (coming at us) was going at a pretty steady clip. Cool. Green light, right?

I had to move over into the right lane to go around those road-greedy left turners, though, because I was going straight and they were in my way. I thought they were over a little too far, and I was venting about that. As I whizzed past them into the glaring sun, I glanced over and realized...that they WEREN'T in the left turn lane. They were STOPPED for the RED light I was speeding through!

"Mom! You BROKE the law!" Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Erica slide down in the seat, trying to hide from anyone who might recognize her.

"Uh, yeah, I kind of noticed," I said sheepishly. "But everyone from the other way was going...I thought it was my turn!"

She gave me an indignant stare. "You can't do stuff just because everyone else is doing it. You have to wait for your turn." She was on a roll.

"Yes, well, obviously I didn't see the red light. Hello." My kids love it when they get a chance to tell me what to do, so I had to make her work for it.

Fortunately I did NOT get pulled over. Some unlucky cop missed his chance for an easy ticket. Whew! But the look she gave me when I dropped her off was a mirror image of the ones I used to give her. Life comes at you fast, and pretty soon, you've gone full circle!

No comments: