Saturday, April 12, 2008

just when you thought it couldn't go any faster...

And I thought Thursday was crazy-busy? Hold on to your hat, because life just sped up to double time.

Last night we went grocery shopping after work...my honey picked me up right from work and off we went. I love getting that out of the way right off the bat on payday. We shop for two weeks at a time. It saves a ton of money that way.

We stopped off at Cindy's first and dropped off birthday cards there, since there are three birthdays in their family this week. We found out she is expecting their third baby! So exciting! They are really hoping for a girl.

We visited a little bit, and then we took off to go shopping. It was almost nine pm when we got home, and I was so tired I wasn't even going to put all the groceries away. Pearlie called, and said she thought she was in labor. Contractions were ten minutes apart, but they really were uncomfortable. She was still a month ahead of her due date, so I said it was probably false labor, but that she should call the midwife anyway just in case.

She called back and said they had suggested drinking some water and taking a warm bath, which she did, but they had only gotten harder. I thought she should just go straight down to be checked. She could barely get out of the water in the bathtub. We said we'd meet her down there. Luvvy took her and Baby Del down there, and we didn't waste any time getting going either.

We got there, and the first clue I had was when we asked the nurse to let us in, and she said, "Well, you might be able to peek in and say hi, but that's all. She's having a baby in there." What??! We got in there, and Grampa took Baby Del to the family waiting room to wait. The first thing Pearl told me was that she was dilated to nine and a half and wasn't going to be having an epideural. Wow! No false labor there, now.

She went through about an hour and a half of labor and was doing really well. I was so impressed! Finally she was feeling pushy, and after only one push, the nurse was already telling her to stop pushing and just breathe. That's just not fair, is it? All of a sudden, there was his head, and then he shot out onto the bed. It was so amazing.

We stayed a little while, took pictures, took turns holding him, and he was doing great! He was 5# 14 oz., and 18 and something inches long. Just a little peanut. We left there about 3:30 in the morning *groan*. I was so tired. The lady at the desk told us when we were leaving that we could just pay the machine $4.00 for parking because there was no attendant. Not. The machine would NOT take our money, no matter how many ways my honey tried to put the money in. He was upset.

Finally, he saw a little sign that said to dial "2" on the touchpad for help. It dialed something, and magically the gate opened. Luvvy was right behind us and she shot through, too. The gate came down on top of her car and bump, bump, bumped its way all the way to the back of her car as she drove through. SHE wasn't about to get stuck there--she had to follow us out of there to find her way home!

Well, we didn't get to sleep until about 5:30, and the first phone call I remember this morning was that Cindy was going down to the hospital because she was bleeding, and she thought she might be having a miscarriage. Prayers are appreciated.

Oh, my Lord...in You I find my peace.

It's true. I was a little worked up at first about Pearl, and it's just like God smoothed His calming salve over my frenzied mind. I could hear Him...It's okay. It's okay, I got this. And He does. He has it all.

So I choose to let God handle what is His, and I take care of what I need to do. It's so much easier that way. Tomorrow is another day, and today, well, it's time to go to bed.

Here is a picture of our little precious grand-angel:


7 comments:

Kristi said...

Congratulations. How exciting that you were there.

daisydreamer said...

Wow. What a precious little one. Look at all that hair! A peanut for sure!!!

Rest well! You've earned it.

Rosie said...

Aren't babies just the sweetest? I am certain that the way they smell is the perfume of God. They just smell of heaven.

Your little dear looks so like a couple of mine!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I thought the side was cheery also. I use cuteblogs.com --check my side bar!

Becky K. said...

How exciting! What a little sweetheart! Check out that double chin! Love it!

Hope all is well for Cindy. I'll keep her in prayer and you must update when you can.

Blessings,
Becky K.

bethn said...

What a blessing babies are. I'm glad you could be there. Both of my boys came really fast. I remember the nurse saying stop pushing the doctors not here yet. Sure right like that's gonna happen. I'll keep Cindy in my prayers, please keep us posted.

River's Edge said...

Congratulations! Precious, precious baby! And just think- all this activity is keeping you YOUNG! Maybe exhausted, but your life will NEVER be boring. : )

Becky K. said...

You have been tagged. Come over to check it out and see if you want to play.
Becky K.