Monday, May 26, 2008

a bittersweet day...

Memorial Day...a day to remember those who are gone, and a day to celebrate togetherness.

Today we celebrated family with a BBQ and bonfire, with all but one of the kids stopping by for a while to hang out. We had so much fun. We ended up with more than twenty people here...the more the merrier, I say. It was a nice mellow day...not stressful at all, even for an INFP like me!

Dee bought stuff to make s'mores with--oh, be still my little pitter patting heart. I haven't had s'mores for a couple of years. Lewie made me one, and I cooked another one in the microwave. Yes, I nuked it! It's not the same, though. You don't get that nice crusty outside. The one Lewie made was the best one.

I don't have the patience to hold that little stick over the fire until the marshmallow gets all brown. I like them golden brown and melty, and to get them like that, you have to keep turning them and turning them as soon as they start to smoke. I get fed up and just let the dumb thing burn.

The day was especially enjoyable because John did part of the cooking. (You know how much I like to cook these days.) He wanted to learn how to cook my honey's collard greens with smoked turkey, and Mugs' famous cornbread, so he took over that part. (Before you fall over, know that he had a date coming over and he wanted to make a good impression.) He even did most of his dishes! Wowza. That was cool! He needs to ask her over more often. Hee hee. They turned out great, BTW. Go, Johnny!

All I made were salads. I made Three-Bean Salad for my honey, cuz he loves that one, Mexican Pasta Salad, and Emeril's Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw. Mmm-mmm-mmmh!

This will probably be the last get together for a while where all the kids will be there, though, because this is the last week that the two boys will be here. They're leaving in a week to join Willy-boy, the one who lives 3 hours north who we hardly ever see. He got a job out in Wyoming, too. {:o[ (huge sad face) Happy that they have work, but sad that I won't see them much. Do you see what I mean by bittersweet?

Then on the flip side, last night we spent most of the night at the hospital with Mugs, who was not doing well at all. The staff did manage to stabilize her, and she's doing better, but it was a little scary for a while. She felt like she couldn't breathe, her blood pressure kept falling, her oxygen blood level was too low, and they couldn't figure out why. They finally figured out that she had fluid and possibly blood clots in her lungs.

We finally came home after they moved her into intensive care at around 3:30 am. *yawn* They are still treating her today, and she is holding her own right now. We were pretty happy that we didn't lose her. Prayers for her continued health are appreciated.

But on a truly sad note, Markus, a remarkable young man whose journey I've been following on Caring Bridge, passed away this morning from a very aggressive form of pancreatic cancer. Left behind grieving were his partner Mark, his parents and siblings, and a huge extended family. Cancer is no respecter of persons.

It's always so difficult to know just the right thing to say, but thinking about what they are going through...my heart is full...

No comments: