Tuesday, May 6, 2008

spring frenzy

It's beautiful today. The weather is fresh, cool but not cold, mostly sunny. Minnesota in the spring is so unpredictable. Less than two weeks ago we had snow. Today, we had a potluck at work outside. Some people wore tank top "things" and it was comfortable. I'm not a tank top aficionado...well, maybe if I'm at home, working in the garden, in the back yard.

The day has turned grey and rainy, and it's supposed to hail and thunderstorm tonight. It's kind of a melancholy day. Life seems to be changing so quickly, and I'm not sure if I'm excited or not about it.

The boys got home from Wyoming, but I haven't really had a chance to talk to them yet. They came in quite late (or should I say quite early in the morning), Lewie went off to work at six, and Rob was still sleeping when I left. I'm anxious to hear how it went. Sounds like they had quite the adventure.

Gee is making plans for graduation. She's very ambitious. She wants to make her own grad announcements BY HAND, well by Cricut, partly, and I already know it's going to be a long haul. Then she'll be taking off on a road trip, and before I know it, she'll be making plans to MOVE OUT and start college.

Johnny is again making noises about getting his own place ASAP. We'll see. It might be soon, but then again, it might be later. There's no one pushing him but himself.

But sadly, I think little Augie Doggie's days are numbered. He has not been doing well for a while. He'd get up to go potty outside, eat a little something, and lay back down. Recently he has taken a turn for the worse. He barely moves at all. When I tell him it's time to go outside, he tries to drag himself under the bed to hide. I have to carry him up and down the steps, and he even cries when I do that. But otherwise, he just stands there and shakes, and his nose starts to run like it does when he's extremely nervous. He won't go up, and he won't go down.

I just can't stand to see him suffering. He's almost fourteen...we might be able to give him pain meds or something, but he really isn't very mobile. I keep hoping he'll improve, but I don't see it happening. I'm going to hate this. It's going to be really, really hard to have him put to sleep. He's been our buddy for such a long time. So, lots of losses, and the gains are difficult to see right now. No New Pets, though, people. I'm sticking to it.

I went to lunch with my friend Judy yesterday, and both of her kids moved out recently. She says she is still busy, but she gets to be busy with different things. She was cheerful about it. I hope I find my happy place, too!

5 comments:

Becky K. said...

Sorry for poor Augie Doggie!

It is sooooo hard to see our pets suffering.

I'll be looking forward to hearing how the guys made out on their trip.

My boys are 15 and 17 so my time is coming to "let go" a little.

Becky K.

fortyb4forty said...

So sorry to hear about your dog, my two pugs are 11 and 12, and its hard to watch them age. They still have some energy and keep us entertained.

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry you need to near saying Good Bye to Augie. I have never hda to lose a pet in my life yet but I have watched many loved ones mourn for their pets.

Sandra said...

So sorry to hear about your dog....our girl had been with us for 16 years and she passed away 2 years ago, it was just heartbreaking.

LaCresha said...

Hi! I found your blog via CWO blogroll. I enjoyed your blog so much. I'm going through the empty nest syndrome and so far I've not found my happy place. I hope that soon when my life is more settled I will find a good place. I'm adding you to my blog reads :o) I sure hope your doggie gets better. I hate losing a pet, their like family.
{{Hugs}}