Sunday, June 1, 2008

it went like this...

Got a phone call last night, it went like this:

Hello.

Hello. It's Robert.

Hey Rob, what's up! Are you at Will's yet?

*static* ...ulp .. bert...ack *static*

What? You're breaking up.

*silence*

Hello?

...wheel came off.

What?! Your wheel came off?? Where?

Off the car.

No, where are you?

In the car. The wheel came off.

(Rob is very calm and cool at this point, and it is so typical of him. I, on the other hand, am going crazy.)

Your WHEEL came OFF??? Are you okay? How are you going to get it back on? Is the car okay? What are you going to do?

*silence*

Rob?

(My honey's eyebrows had sailed up past his hairline by this point, and he sat up straight in his chair.)

Are you at Will's?

No, in Staples. Lewis kept going. He was ahead of me. He's gone.

Are you kidding me?? Didn't you call him?

His reception must not have been very good. He kept going.

What are you going to do?

Mmmmm, look at it in the morning, I guess.

In the morning? Where are you going to stay? In a motel?

Sleep in the car.

What? Why in the car?

Why not?

Aren't you in Staples? Find a motel.

I'm about fifteen miles out.

What? You're out in the middle of nowhere?

(My honey was ready to put his shoes on and go.)

Oh, by the way, Will said if you're getting rid of the bunkbeds, he would take them.

What do you mean? When did you talk to Will? Is Lewis there already?

I just talked to him.

Did you tell him what happened to your car?

No, I'm sitting here on his couch.

Wha...you're sitting...what do you mean? Aaaaahhhhhhhh, you SUCK!!!!!!!

(His snickering and the laughing in the background come through loud and clear)

That boy could get rich playing poker. I am so getting even.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

You had me all the way to the end. I was sitting there trying to figure out how a steering wheel comes off and how to get it back on. How funny.

bethn said...

Oh my goodness. I think I'd be out cold on the floor by the time I got to the part where it was a joke. I"m glad my kids aren't at that point yet.