Sunday, June 8, 2008

oh, what a day!

Today started out really stressful. I woke up dreaming about fruit salad and wishing I had stayed up last night to cut up the fruit. It sounded so much better last night when I said I was going to do it first thing this morning. So instead of being calm, cool and collected, I started out the day feeling like I was running uphill in a mudslide. Bleah. I had a mental list running laps through my mind, like Gee's little hamster in its wheel, going round and round but getting nowhere.

I found a smaller cage for the hamster, by the way, but now he stuffs his wheel half-full of bedding and sleeps in there. I'm afraid he's going to get stuck. We also have to keep the cats and the dog out of the girl's room because now they can reach the cage. Augie got in there and was clawing at the cage in no time flat. Save space and kill the hamster? Or something like that... Okay, 'nuff about the hamster.

So I got up in a hurry and started looking at my list to see what I should do first. Gee disappeared--okay, of all the days in the world she could have picked to start teaching preschool at church, today would have been the last one on my list. But I think it just all happened kind of fast...I know if it were me, I would have had a hard time saying no at her age, too.

So she was gone. E-girl was gone--she went to church this morning. Johnny was gone--he went to church with Jessica this morning. Dee took off to the store...everyone was abandoning ship. I was completely freaking out. Angie had showed up at the house last night just to help, so I got on the phone and asked her if she could please come help me again. Of course, she says. What a sweetie.

I had to go to the store. I had to buy trays and bowls, three big bags of ice, and an outlet strip in case we needed it there. I just barely managed to avoid getting sidetracked by some oh-so-CUTE pink fabric for my closet wall. It was a narrow escape, too. Those fabric bolts have a pretty strong magnetic pull. I made it up to the checkout line with ONLY the things I went in for, a small miracle in itself. I asked the clerk to ring up three big bags of ice, and went on my way.

In the parking lot, I checked my receipt because I had an inkling that she rang up small bags of ice instead of big ones. She did. She only rang up two of them. I kept walking, but the little voice was talking. "Go back in and pay for what you got." I ignored it. It got louder. I put my stuff in the van, ignoring it still.

"I'll do it later. I don't have time." Now I'm talking back out loud. I started the van.

"No, do it now. You'll never come back and do it. You'll forget."

"Fine!" I got back out, fuming under my breath. "Does this mean the weather's gonna be nice and the day's gonna go good?"

"No, it's not a flea market/barter kind of thing. It's about obedience."

I got to the customer service. I had to stand in line! I was resigned to the fact I was going to be running behind. "They better appreciate this," I mumbled.

The little voice kept talking. "It's not about a pat on the back either. It's about doing the right thing."

I told the lady my problem, that they rang up the wrong thing, and I had to pay more money. She stared at the receipt, no expression on her face. I couldn't tell what she was thinking. I always feel like somewhat of a lunatic when I do this. "You want to pay MORE money?" But I usually get a positive reaction.

So anyway, she refunded the two bags to my card, charged the three bags, and had me sign the stuff...I walked away, just wondering what that was all about. Why do these things always happen to me? I hardly ever get ripped off, but people are always trying to give me more money than I have coming, and I have to keep giving it back. But it's like I told one lady, who was trying to refund me more than something cost when I was returning it. If my integrity is only good until I hit $1.88, what have I got? Really.

But then it came to me. The people who give me a positive reaction about being honest already value honesty themselves. The people who think I'm crazy to do that are the ones who I probably most need to set an example for. Even if I do it grumbling under my breath.

P.S. The rest of the day did pretty much go well, and the rain held off just until the grad party was over and we had everything packed up in the van. Yay!!! Friends and family came, and we had such a good time catching up and visiting.

3 comments:

Crazy Daisy said...

Sounds like a busy day! Congrats to all on the grad! :-)

Oh, and I must admit. The entire time I read this, I was thinking "mmm. fruit salad" :)

Beth said...

I've had this sort of thing happen to me as well. And when I go back in to the store to pay the correct amount I usually feel proud of myself.

I should not be feeling proud of myself for doing what God wants me to do. I have a lot to work on!

Becky K. said...

Good for you.
It is hard to make yourself make something like that right when it wasn't your fault that it happened in the first place. But, obedience was the key. Thanks for sharing that story.
Glad the day went well for you.
Becky K.