Friday, June 20, 2008

a productive bloggy day--hooray!

The best thing that happened today was when my coworker in the bookstore said to me, "I want to draw something. Tell me what to draw." (You can tell how slow it was all day, can't you?)

I immediately thought of my blog header, which I have been wanting to revamp. It's been over a year since I updated my look. So I told her the story of the song "A Daisy A Day," and how the man promised to always give his sweetheart a daisy a day, and how he kept his promise, even after she died. Only then he was bringing her daisies to her grave.

I told her about my blog, and how I named it because my honey planted beautiful perennial gardens for me, so that all summer long, he would be giving me a "daisy a day," or whatever flower happened to be in season. I soak up the beauty every time I walk outside.

And I told her how I had been looking for a picture of a shy little boy handing a daisy to his sweetheart. So I asked her to try to draw it. In about fifteen minutes, she had drawn the delightful picture you now see at the top of my blog! Yes! Fifteen minutes. Including the coloring. It was simply amazing.

It took me several hours, however, to photoshop it into a header the right size and finish it off with brushes, coloring and words. I'm so excited--I learned how to use brushes, and how to customize and create my own. You have no idea how much fun that was!!

I'm so happy to have a bloggy facelift. I still like the rest of the coloring, etc. so I didn't mess with the rest of it. If I find a background that I really like, I may change that later. But it's just like rearranging the furniture. It's very satisfying--putting a new face on it so that it doesn't look like the same-old, same-old.

In other news from the home front, the great gopher hunt is on. There is a gutsy little gopher (or mole) leaving little piles of dirt all over the back yard. Last night when my honey was mowing, he ran over and flattened all the little piles. Less than half an hour later, when he was still out there mowing, there was a new pile on the grass. That little stinker came out and did it practically right under his nose.

He was all fired up tonight when he and Johnny found one of the tunnels that had not been filled in. He grabbed the hose, shoved it down the hole, and started it going. I hope the little sucker runs for the hills before it's too late. I don't want him to drown.

Yes, you know I'm sappy if I feel sorry for a little critter that is destroying the lawn. I do the same thing during deer season. If they come home without a deer, I'm cheering. "Yes!! Another successful season!" (For the deer, of course.) Ah, well. Somebody has to be on their side.

6 comments:

Smellyann said...

I love the new picture, it's darling! I want one! ;)

I'm totally with you on siding with the animals, too!

Sharon said...

Cute header, and good job at PS!

Crazy Daisy said...

I L O V E the new header! Wow 15 minutes. Totally Amazing!

Becky K. said...

This is awesome! What a fun surprise to open up your blog today! I liked the old one too but the expression on the girl's face is too cute!

Get that gopher!

Becky K.

daisymarie said...

It's a delightful pic and I love the story behind it, too. I will confess I'm a little techno envious. Here I was feeling good that I was even able to start a blog and occasionally change the background. I don't guess I'm ready for "brushes" yet.

Hooked on Houses said...

The first thing I noticed was your cute new header when I stopped by today. Loved hearing the story behind your blog's name, too. -Julia :-)