Wednesday, June 25, 2008

wacky web wednesday 06-25-08

Just an FYI--I've started reading, but I'm not ready to post yet...so here is a distraction for the day. And I know, this was yesterday's post, but I did not finish it in time, so here is Wednesday's post on Thursday. Reflective of my life!

Are we so hungry for instant gratification that people are actually successful using emails like the one I received this week?

Hello Dear

My name is Mrs. Elena Morris; I am a dying woman who has decided to
donate what I have to you and the charity organization around your community. I am 62 years old and I was diagnosed for cancer for about 2 years ago immediately after the death of my husband who has left me everything he worked for and because the doctors told me I will not live longer than some weeks because of my health i decided to WILL/donate the sum of $5.700.000.00 to you.

Here is the Contact information of my Attorney below:
VAN DER JOEL ADVOCATEN
ANTWOORD 1070 AM PARNASSUSWEG BOULEVARD
AMSTERDAM NETHERLANDS


and tell him that I have WILLED $5.700.000.00 to you I know I don’t know you but I have been directed to do this.

Best Regards,

From Mrs. Elena Morris.


Honestly. Yes, you have chosen me, and the hundreds of other people who received and posted about this exact same email. "I know I don't know you but I have been directed to do this." What?? And there's pie up in that sky, and a nice bridge for sale cheap out in the middle of the desert. The sad part is that some misguided people really fall for these things.

And just to be technical, don't you already have to be DEAD for people to benefit from the will, Mrs. Elena Morris? Hello? Wow wow wubbsy. I can't believe it.

*****

And on the subject of fraud, we just got a phone call today, too. It was a recording:

"This is cardmember services. If you would like to reduce your current card interest rate, please press 1."

Well, we pressed 1, of course. Who wouldn't want to get a lower interest rate? Yes, we're trying to get it paid off, but for now, yeah, let me just say that we definitely have a balance.

The guy started asking questions about our account..."What's your balance? What interest rate are you currently paying?"

Wait just a little stinkin' minute.

"Shouldn't you already have that information?" we asked.

Here is the funniest part. The guy actually admitted, "Well, we're not from your credit card company."

When we said, "Well, we're not talking to you then," all we heard was a *click* on the other end. Let the naïve beware!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have gotten those emails too. To think some people fall for that is just well, sad.

I have also gotten those phone calls to lower your interest rate, I just hang up. So interesting to see what they actually said. I've also gotten several phone calls saying I've been approved for a 5,000 loan, call us immediately. Of course if you do they are going to want all your information. I am not stupid! Its too bad some people have to be so deceptive.

I've also gotten the "Sheriffs office" wanting donations of money. Well, if I want to donate, I'll call them myself. As if I'd give any information over the phone from someone who calls ME.

The news keeps telling people, do not give personal information to people who call you. Makes you wonder how many people have been scammed and if the scammers make alot of money or ever get prosecuted.

Faith