Friday, July 4, 2008

holiday weekend happenings

Waiting three four days between blog posts is not a good thing for me. All these funny things happen, and the first thing I think is, "I gotta blog about that!" And when I sit down two days later, I can't even remember what they were. That's pathetic. I really need to start exercising my brain--you know what they say...use it or lose it. I think it must apply here, too.

Well, I know one reason why I got so sidetracked--my boys came back from Wyoming on their seven-day break and surprised me!! I was so excited to see them. The other kids knew, and they didn't say a word. They did really well, keeping that quiet. So Lewie got to go out with the other kids for his birthday on Tuesday, and I got to make chocolate cake. You know how it is, if you're a mom. You like to do certain things when your kids are home. I feel like one of those stereotypical "food is love" moms. Here! Eat! Be happy!

And I got to see with my own eyes that they aren't starving, and that they're both still in one piece...okay, I'm just kidding. Sort of.

As for work? Work is still slow. We finished, kind of, the inventory. We had everything counted the first day pretty much, but the computer glitches took up another two and a half days. We reopened a half day late, but the store was still so slow that they let me go home early Tuesday. Yesterday was even more slow. I took half the day off to go to the doctor.

I've had this pain in my calf the last few days. It felt like a charley horse at first...like I had a muscle cramp when I was sleeping or something. But as the week went on, it kept getting worse. I couldn't even take a full stride when I walked. I'm thinking...blood clot, maybe? So I made an appointment for yesterday to make sure it wasn't.

That was the. Biggest. Waste. Of. Time. This is how it went. I'm sitting in there waiting to see this doc, who I've not seen before. This guy walks in. He looks like he's twelve. He's got spiky hair and little metal glasses. He asks me a couple of questions, squeezes each ankle lightly, and says, "Nope. I don't think so. It's probably just a sore muscle from the standing you're doing, and for some reason, it's just in one leg. Not to hurt your feelings, but it wouldn't hurt if you lost weight, either."

Well, was that supposed to be my wondrous revelation of the day? Sarcasm really wanted to spill out there..."Wow! I really had no clue...thank you so much for the epiphany!" So basically I took a half day of work off and paid $25 to hear him tell me, you're too fat, and your leg hurts because you're actually standing on it.

And I explained that I knew that a blood clot could make my leg totally swell up, but that in many cases, that doesn't occur. His answer? "Well, in the big picture, most of them do have that." Then, "Do you get any exercise?"

Okay, I'm a Mayo Clinic website junkie, because they have a ton of good information on there, and I know it's reputable. Dee clued me in to that site. I had already looked it up, and found out that a blood clot in your vein like that is called Deep Vein Thrombosis, or DVT. Here is what it said under symptoms: Pain in your legs; this can include pain in your ankles and feet. This pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or a "charley horse."

Hello! And then it said: It's not uncommon for deep vein thrombosis to occur with no symptoms. In fact, in about half of all cases, there are no noticeable symptoms.

So put that in your little Doogie Howser hat. Jerk. I think he just saw an old fat chick and thought, "Out of shape. Suck it up." Because when I explained that I usually have a sit-down job, and I've been on my feet all day at this job, he says, "Oh, good." Excuse me?

They can look at your leg with an ultrasound and do a blood test fairly easily, which would help rule it out, too. He wasn't going there. He had his mental "hat on and one hand on the door handle" attitude. And when I tried to pursue it further with more questions, he just said that I hadn't been on any long trips lately, so it probably wasn't a clot.

I was totally unprepared for that attitude, and I don't react very quickly on the spot with situations like that. I wish I had a little of my honey's quick-flash reactions when it comes to things like that. I have this time-release kind of a response. I just don't expect people to disrespect me, so when they do, I'm blindsided. People say things, I'm dumbfounded, I stew about it, and THEN I think of all the things I could have said--a half hour later! I hate that.

Well, on the bright side, I never have to see him again. I'll add him to my list of doctors to avoid. If I wanted to be generous, I'd chalk it up to inexperience. But I don't. I'll chalk it up to callousness, and just rename him in my mind. Dr. Jerk.

And today? It's a new day. I slept in, got up and puttered around a little, got on the computer, and now I'm going to do whatever I want the rest of the day. My honey said he wanted to drive to Kansas City for some Arthur Bryant's BBQ. I think he was only half-kidding. Maybe we will--that sounds like fun. Why not be spontaneous? Life's too short.

The kids are going to see fireworks tonight, and I am NOT. Just because I don't want to. Gee told me that it was un-American not to go see fireworks. What. Ever.

3 comments:

Crazy Daisy said...

I Hate when doctors are jerks! He had no right. I hope you get to feeling better! Any other plans for the weekend?

Anonymous said...

If your leg doesn't get better, I'd insist on getting an xray, at least they could just rule that out. Some doctors are just ignorant aren't they. Hope your feeling better. I didn't watch the fireworks either. Had to work Saturday, so went to bed early.

Faith

Becky K. said...

Hope that leg is better. I think we are often better doctors to ourselves than the MD's are. Although yesterday my surgeon surprised me and actually listened. Gets me another surgery...another cyst...but at least he listened. More than my family doc...he put me on pain meds and said it was scar tissue...

Sigh....

Becky K.