Wednesday, August 27, 2008

another one flew out of the cuckoo's nest

Kids going away to college is highly overrated.

We dropped Gail off at her dorm today. She is on the fourth story, and the elevator was out of commission. How convenient.

So we huffed her things up four flights of stairs to her room. That room is so small!! But her bed wasn't ready, and she wasn't sure what else she had to do. Fortunately her knight in shining armor (and company) were there to help get her get her stuff upstairs, and get her going in the right direction. He went to the U last year so he knows what's up.

We could only sit there at the curb for a few minutes, so once we got her stuff unloaded, we said our goodbyes. I gave her a hug. I tried to get into the van before I started crying, but I wasn't quick enough.

"Mom! Don't cry!" she says. That's what they always tell me. Too late. I didn't want to make her cry, but then I cried all the way home.

I asked Pinda if it gets easier the second year. "Nope," she said. "I've been crying for a couple of days already."

Oh, great. I have so much to look forward to.

4 comments:

Smilingsal said...

But one sweet day, when the nest has been empty for a time, you'll find that you're smiling. The house stays clean. No fingerprints on the walls. No drawers left open. No pillows to fluff.

Get it? Something to look forward to.

For now, just sigh and grab a tissue.

Crazy Daisy said...

{{{{HUGS}}}}

daisymarie said...

I somehow survived college and the first child leaving home, coming home, leaving home with the first grandchild, moving in with both kids, and leaving again. But I don't know what I'll do when Asher and his mommy (aka the younger daughter) move into their own home. I would probably recommend to my friends that purchase multiple shares of stock in Hershey.

karen said...

Consider this a short break. Before you know it, commencement ceremonies, careers, marriage, grandchildren ... and not always in that particular order! Love to you! Cry all you want ... I would too.