Thursday, August 21, 2008

finnish with a twist

We were at the store doing some late night grocery shopping, my honey and I, and we were almost done. We try to get the frozen stuff last so that it doesn't thaw out before we get it home.

I was looking at the Drumsticks, trying to resist the temptation to buy some, and I turned to my honey and said, "If we ever go to Finland after the kids are grown, you're going to have to try a "tuutti". They are soooo good!" (You pronounce it doo-tee. You say the d sound almost like a t, and the t sound almost like a d. It's hard to explain. I guess it almost sounds like you're spitting.)

I don't know if there is another word for them, but tuuttis were the ice cream cones that were for sale at the little kiosks along every street. They were filled with things like strawberry or caramel filling, and they were TO DIE FOR. I don't even know if they have them anymore. That was many moons ago.

But anyway, he looked at me with this blank look and said, "WHAT??"

"You're going to have to eat a tuutti!"

He looked at me again and blurted out, "No!"

"What do you mean, no?" I asked him.

"I am NOT eating any dukey, and that's that! Even in Finland. That's where I draw the line."

I thought I was going to pee my pants laughing. "It's not dukey," I said. "It's a tuutti. It's the best ice cream you'll ever eat."

He just stared at me as I tried to stop laughing, and finally he smiled a little bit to humor me. Dukey indeed.

3 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Now, the question is, what exactly did he think was a "dukey"?

daisy said...

Well, dukey is a slang word for something not very polite, OR edible. Ummm, a preschooler might refer to it as a "number two".

He was teasing me, because he always says that listening to someone speak Finnish is like listening to someone speak with a mouth full of ... well, dukey. LOL

Becky K. said...

Too funny!

Isn't it fun to laugh with your special someone?

Becky K.