Tuesday, August 19, 2008

just say no--to plastic!!

I do agree with one of my previous commenters: we need to reduce the amount of oil/gas that we use.

Well, now that I'm up on my soapbox, let me spout off some more. A good chunk of our oil consumption goes toward making plastic bags, such as the ones that the grocery stores gives you to put your groceries in, and individual serving size plastic bottles. We could save a ton of landfill space AND oil if we collectively choose to make small changes. Using reusable bags and refilling our own water containers are two things that any old body can do. And recycle the plastic that we do use!

Plus, plastic products cause the slow, torturous deaths of millions of helpless animals, and if you've read my blog for very long, you KNOW I love my animals. And the ones that aren't "mine", too. Although, if you take the view that we are responsible for being the earth's caretakers, which I do, then they are all "my" animals. (The dominion over the earth thing? Does NOT mean abuse and be careless with. Does NOT mean use up recklessly. God gave us wisdom. Hello.)

Take a minute and watch this...now I ALWAYS remember my tote bags when I go grocery shopping. I saw this on Mel, A Dramatic Mommy's blog back in July, and it's been haunting me ever since.


I cry every time I watch this.


But this is encouraging. Here is one community trying to do something about it...



Okay, I'm hopping down, now. I have to go to bed.

3 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Very informative. Thank you.

faith said...

I got that video in my email one day and I never realized the dangers of plastic bags! So on my next shopping trip I seen the cloth bags for sale and picked a bunch of them up. Now if I can remember to bring them. I should just keep some in both vehicles so that I can't forget! Maybe America can move next to ban the plastic bags.

Crazy Daisy said...

I love that 2nd video!
"... the reuseable bags get the hot dates..." HAHAHAAA!