Monday, August 4, 2008

new babies and new space

We have a new grandbaby--as of Aug 1! No pics to post yet--they live a ways from here. Papa is one of the three boys who moved to WY, ten hours away. When Mom went into labor, she was trying to reach him, and where was he? Out of reach with a dead cell phone. When he finally got the message, she had been in labor for four hours, so he flung his stuff into the car and put it into high gear to get home. I guess he got there JUST in time. What a story to tell his little one when he gets older.

Apparently all went well, though, as far as I've heard. Is Jarrett Reed not just the cutest name? I can't wait to see him!

And on the other end, another chick flew the coop finally. Johnny moved into his first apartment this weekend. I'm happy for him, and I'm a little sad, too. But that's how life is. You grow up, move out, get married, and have kids. Then your kids grow up, move out, and start the cycle all over again. I never thought about this end of it when I was moving out, the parent end, and I'm pretty sure that my kids won't either. Not until they get them themselves.

So a lot of space got cleared out...one whole bedroom was emptied and filled again as fast as you can say apartment. Erica has her own room for the first time in her life. The other bedroom got a whole lot roomier for the other two girls. Gee kind of got robbed because she is going to college. Otherwise, in the normal line of succession in our house, she would have been next in line to get her own room. But it makes no sense to keep two girls in one room the whole school year while the other room is empty except for holidays and occasional weekends. So her loss, Erica's gain.

Gee has already informed me that she will probably not be living at home full time again ever. She's got it figured out...about three years of college, then a full time job and her own place. She can do it, too, if she puts her mind to it. She's smart, and she's disciplined. So there's a little preview for me, yes?

And now there is more space in the dining and the living room since Johnny took some furniture with him. You know how I finally got my rocker to rock my grandbabies in? (I don't remember if I blogged about that or not.) But it turns out that the rocker we bought was not nearly as nice as a LaZ-Boy rocker. It wasn't as comfortable, and it was hard to get out of. Boy do I sound like my mom, now. But I just didn't really heart that chair, so we gave the rocker to John for his apartment. He was happy to have something to sit in, and I was happy to not have to keep a chair I wasn't in love with. Win-win.

And Dee is going to move some of her stuff out of the living room into the girl's room, which will open it up visually even more. Aaaaaahhh... *huge sigh of satisfaction* I feel like I can breathe better.

And my closet (where the falling clothes accident happened)? Well, I've come up with a solution, I think, so I can move past the stalled-out stage and pick up momentum again. I might fiddle with that today if I get time and I feel better.

I stayed home sick today. I was sick all weekend. Yukk. Ibuprofen is my best friend right now. We've been on very good terms this weekend. I've been swabbing my nose with Zi-cam and OD-ing on Vitamin C. My mama would be so proud.

I think I have the same bug that I always get when I stay up too late too many nights in a row. It starts out with my nose and throat burning, it moves into muscle and joint aches, then it takes up residence in my chest and lungs. I'm on the chest and lungs day, coughing up disgusting green things with little red streaks in them.

I guess it's too late to give you a gross-o-meter warning. I hope you've already had your breakfast or you're not going to want to eat after reading that. You might want to disinfect your monitor, too, after you read this. You can never be too careful with those viruses.

I've gone through a bottle of hand sanitizer and two bottles of hand washing soap. I don't want to make anyone else sick. I'm even sleeping with my head at the other end of the bed so I don't cough on my honey and infect him. I don't know if it'll help, but it makes sense to me so I'm giving it a try.

Well, a sick day home with my little X-man is always better than a healthy day at work. Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Congratulations on your new grandbaby, but isn't it a shame for that child to be long distance?

At least you have some of your children still with you; my nest is long empty.

I don't like the sound of that sickness! Maybe you should see an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. Take care.

Becky K. said...

Feel better soon. Do take care of yourself.

Congrats on the grandbaby. They do like to come at inconvenient moments, as if the wee one knew that Daddy's cell phone might be dead...Chelsea waited until Warren walked out the door to get lunch and then tried to come in a hurry...after hours of labor.

Becky K.