Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sarah who?

I pulled this from MNSBC...kind of a knee-jerk response to McCain's pick for Sarah Palin.

Personally, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. She isn't very environmentally friendly. She's too chummy with Big Oil. She doesn't have the breadth or depth of experience she needs should she land in the Pres's office by default if something happens to McCain. I think we've had enough damage done in the last eight years.

But here, from Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Domenico Montanaro

*** The case for Palin: For McCain, the biggest thing Sarah Palin brings is buzz. It's something the campaign has been seeking for some time. In fact, it has bothered Team McCain that it doesn’t get the same "gee whiz" kind of coverage that Obama gets. Palin changes that discrepancy -- for now. She also helps McCain re-introduce himself as a change-reform candidate. Palin's whole shtick in Alaska is reformer; it's what got her into the governors mansion. Indeed, the Palin pick may signal that the McCain folks have concluded that "experience" as a message isn't a winning one, even though they spent the entire summer developing that argument. So they are hoping Palin helps redefine GOP ticket as change. What's more, she brings a historical first to the McCain campaign. And finally, there's Palin's gender, which the McCain folks hope reopens some of the Clinton-Obama wounds that the Dem convention seemed to heal.

*** The case against Palin. The biggest negative about the pick is that on its face, it looks like a political gimmick, a political calculation. And McCain's supposed to be anything but a calculating or gimmicky pol. Indeed, as the Los Angeles Times wonders, isn’t McCain supposed to be the guy putting “country first” and not playing politics? The fact that McCain doesn't know Palin and spent all but a couple of hours getting to know her before making his pick is going to invite A LOT of judgment criticism. The perception is going to be that McCain panicked and wanted to do something radical to shake up the race. Well, he may have shaken up the race, but at the cost of undermining his best asset: that he was ready to lead. This decision doesn't look like it was well thought out, even as Palin has made a tremendous first impression.

What do YOU think?

5 comments:

A life of Assorted Nuts said...

I like her. She stands up and says her piece, even if it's against her own party.

Smilingsal said...

I think she's a great pick. I like the fact that she has stood up to big business. I appreciate that she represents me and those like me.

Give her a break, Daisy! At least she's not the same old, same old, like the other VP candidate is.

Happy Sunday.

Crazy Daisy said...

Thanks for posting this Daisy! I think she was picked in an attempt to pick up some of the Hilary votes. I like the idea of a women being in office, however she does not represent me, or those things that that are important to me.

Anonymous said...

I think McCain picked Palin in an attempt to pick up women voters also. Picking her doesn't make me like McCain any more, it makes me kind of sick to think that is the main reason for picking her. There is much more qualified women out there.

karen said...

I watched her speech last night (9/3). The only thing I had read previously about her was a story regarding her newborn, Trig. I was touched by the story, but really paid no attention to who Sarah Palin is. I was blown away by her speech - her delivery and words. She is a strong, smart woman. She laid out a clear strategy and presented statements about McCain that were unknown to me. Well, without a doubt, this will be an election to watch!