Sunday, September 14, 2008

connections...

Yesterday was our day to grocery shop...it's usually a long, drawn out process. Just ask our kids. If they hear we're going grocery shopping, they've learned not to make plans that involve our help. :)

We make our meal list for the next two weeks, and then we make the grocery list so we have all the stuff to make the meals. On a good day, I'll clear the counter, and clean the fridge and the freezer before we go so we have room to put the groceries when we get home. The whole process usually ends up taking up the better part of my day.

It goes something like this:

Hon: What are you doing?
Me: Well, I was making the meal list, but I got a little sidetracked.
Hon: Yeah, I see that.

I close the blog I'm reading. It's almost impossible for me to get on the computer to make my meal list and my grocery list without getting sidetracked on the internet.

Hon: What have you got for meals so far?

I read through the list. He looks like he's listening. Then he comes over to the computer to read it himself.

Me: We have six days left to fill. What do you want for those days?
Hon: Do you have pancakes yet?
Me: Nope, not yet.
***if the kids are listening, one of them is rolling their eyes right about now***

We always try to put a few days of non-meat meals, to help keep the cost down. Plus, we like pancakes--at least the buttermilk ones from scratch.

I also almost always have a couple of meals on there with pasta and some kind of tomato sauce. For example, this time we have lasagna, homemade manicotti, and Darius Pasta, or D'Pasta, as I called it.

You might be wondering what in the world is Darius Pasta? Well, I do this thing online...blog surfing...did I mention that? And I find all these wonderful people who share their recipes on their blogs.

Hon: What is D'Pasta?
Me: It's a new meal I want to try. It's a goulashy kind of thing.
Hon: Where'd you get it from?
Me: From this blog I read. It sounds really good.
Hon: What is this with recipes from blogs lately?

I've been trying out a lot of recipes from The Pioneer Woman lately. This recipe, however, is a yummy-sounding find from Mama Mel at It's a Long Way from the Theta House. She got it from someone else and renamed the recipe after one of her boys. He helped her make it. And it looks like he liked it, too, from the pictures she posted.

Oh, and her Symphony Brownies recipe? Go find it on her site. I think I got a sugar rush just from reading the recipe. Zowie!

But anyway, I digress. I renamed the pasta dish again. I called it D'Pasta, because I wasn't sure if I'd remember Darius' name, being as he's not my kid and all. No offense, Mama Mel, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to remember it now. I was reading last night in my One Year Chronological Bible and all of a sudden this name pops out at me. I'm reading about King Darius. I immediately thought of this recipe. Love the connection. Mel, you rock.

So really if you think about it, getting sidetracked by blogs is actually a legitimate activity when I'm making my meal list. Yes!!

If you made it this far and haven't had enough reading, here's the end product.

Sat - Leftovers
Sun - ham, mashed potatoes, green beans
Mon - BBQ country style ribs in the crockpot
Tue - beef & broccoli stir fry (a popular recipe from another blog)
Wed - D' Pasta
Thu - banana pancakes
Fri - fried fish & sweet potato oven fries
Sat - chicken & dumplings (because we never made them last time)
Sun - best lasagna (from another blog)
Mon - bacon, egg & cheese sandwiches
Tue - pasta with peas
Wed - homemade manicotti
Thu - meatballs & mashed potatoes
Fri - Giada's balsamic chicken drummies

Whew! I'm tired just from typing it all. Now we gotta cook it.

4 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Send me the directions to your house and the time for dinner; I'm coming!

Faith said...

I do the same thing for meals, plan for two weeks. But I don't designate a specific meal for a specific day. We just keep a list in the cupboard and see whats left and decide what looks good that day! Then cross it off the list when we make it.
I'm getting hungry reading your menu. Yum! I've tried a few from the Pioneer Woman too. We really liked her reved up Conqueso. I also tried the Apple Dumplings (very good!) and Marlboro Mans favorite sandwich which was also very good. She's a hoot!

karen said...

so ... how was d'pasta?? :)

daisy said...

Oh, D'Pasta was a hit! It was a bit spicy, but it was delicious. Gail picked out most of the peas, but at least she was home for dinner. It was wonderful.