Monday, September 1, 2008

I survived the weekend!

Well, it's wind-down time...that short window between the time when all the company leaves and the time when I have to go to bed. Most of the in-town kids came over for BBQ today. The grandbabies were running on full steam. I'm absolutely certain that OSHA would have made earplugs mandatory had they measured the noise level in here. I can remember when every day was like that. It makes me appreciate the quiet times that I occasionally have now.

But my honey got to break in his newly completed fancy-dancy grill today!

He's been working on this magnificent piece all summer. He started with two fifty-gallon barrels and a rectangle of bricks laid out near the garage. He painstakingly cut, drilled, bolted, sawed, and bent various pieces of metal and wood until out of all the conglomeration of materials, a beautiful grill emerged.

He now has a humungous cooking apparatus. The two barrels are connected end to end, with a smokestack on one end, and a firebox on the other end. He can put charcoal in the bottom of the whole grill and cook enough food for sixty people, or he can put the charcoal in the firebox on the end, and he can smoke meat in the main part of the grill for a day and a half, or as long as he can stay awake to keep feeding the fire.

There's nothing he likes better than barbecuing outside all day. He had a huge beef brisket and a couple of chickens cooking out there. He says he overslept, but I swear he was up before dawn. Dinner was done in the late evening, which is nothing unusual, though, because we eat later than anyone else we know! It was delish!

My tastiest contribution to the meal was peach cobbler...I used up the last of our delicious Colorado peaches with this dish. I promise you this is the best recipe for peach cobbler anywhere! It's not difficult; it just takes a little time. But it doesn't get soggy, even if you put the leftovers in the fridge for the next day. If you have any.

Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler

· 8 cups fresh peaches, sliced and peeled (or you can use frozen)
· 2 cups sugar
· 1/4 cup flour
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh is best)
· 1/3 cup butter, melted
· Pastry for double-crust pie

Preheat oven to 475°F. Combine the peaches, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a Dutch oven. Allow to set until sugar is dissolved and a syrup forms.

Over medium heat, bring the peach mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in melted butter. Set aside and keep warm.

Roll out half the pastry as for a pie, but cut it into an 8-inch square. Spoon half the peach mixture into a lightly buttered 8-inch square Pyrex dish. Cover with the pastry square.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and spoon remaining peach mixture over the baked pastry.

Roll out the remaining pastry, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar liberally over the top. Press the cinnamon sugar into the top of the crust with the rolling pin. Or if you're ambitious, cut crust into strips about an inch wide. Arrange strips in a loose lattice weave over the peach mixture. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.

Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.

Let cool until you can't stand to leave it alone. Scoop out a sample to make sure it tastes okay. Pronounce it unfit for human consumption, and bring the dish to your room so you don't have to share it. Oh, never mind that. It never works for me, either. Wishful thinking.

Just an FYI...I don't use an 8-inch square baking dish, just because I don't have one. I don't remember if I've ever had one. I use an oval 3 quart Corningware casserole dish for the cobbler, and it works just fine.

I wish I had thought to take a picture of it before we sampled, because it was perfect! I'm slipping, I know! But there it is...my Labor Day wind-down post.

3 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Umm, that cobbler sounds wonderful. Sounds like a good day.

karen said...

Oh my, that puts my pitiful peach cobbler to shame ... and then some. However, Bisquick and canned peaches have their place - a hungry teenager + late evening sweet tooth! Oh, I can almost smell those fresh peaches you write about ... if you hear rumbling, my stomach is growling!!

Velvia said...

Hi Daisy!
I apologize for not stopping by in a while, it's my loss! My stomach is growling just reading your recipe for peach cobbler, Yummy!
Love, Velvia