Thursday, September 11, 2008

a moment of silence...

At 8:45 this morning at my work, we are having a moment of silence to honor the victims of 9/11. It's been seven years already...but it seems closer than that.

I remember that morning very well. I was driving to work when it happened, and I had the CD player going in my car instead of the radio, so I had no clue anything was wrong until I got to work.

There were coworkers and students glued to a small TV in the reception area when I got to work. Some people were crying. I remember asking someone if they knew what everyone was watching. She told me what happened, and her face was incredibly sad. It was like I couldn't process the words she was saying. They went in my brain, but they just bounced around like ping pong balls before they bounced out again. It just didn't seem real.

I called home and talked to my honey, and he confirmed it. It was such a somber, subdued day. Some people were sitting still, not moving, just staring into nothingness with their eyes glazed with tears. Others were talking, but only in hushed tones, their conversation muted. I just walked to my work area, and I didn't talk to anyone else.

I kept running it through my mind, as if trying to make sense out of it, and each time I did, fresh tears would well up and spill down, burning my cheeks. I'm sure that when we have our moment of silence today, I'll relive those same emotions...I hate crying in front of other people.

Any memories you would like to share? Where were you when you found out?

3 comments:

Smilingsal said...

I was in school; it was my planning period, and I was going to the restroom. A colleague stopped me and told me. I felt it MUST be an accident. When I returned to my classroom, I turned on the TV and saw the second plane. (shudder)

Becky K. said...

I was at home with the children. We stopped everything and watched. I knew this was too big to avoid them knowing about. I did not know if the nuclear plants so near our home would be the next targets. We were afraid. We were unbelievably saddened.

I am so proud, now, of the way our leaders worked together during that time. To know that there have been other serious plots stopped. We can never let our defenses down...SO sad.

Blessings on your day,

Becky K.

Faith said...

I was at the dentist when the first plane hit and I didn't really think too much of it at that time. Thought it was just an accident. When I got home about 9:30-10 or so a co-worker had called me and asked if I was watching GMA. I wasn't, so she told me to turn it on and told me what was happening. Just unreal. So sad. Watched the 102 minute special on the History channel last night and they showed people waving flags in the tower above the fire and people jumping. What they must have gone through, terrifying. I think if I knew I was going to burn to death, I'd probably jump too and get it over quicker. Such a tragedy. America will never be the same, thats for sure.