Monday, September 15, 2008

so tired...

I don't know why I do this to myself. I get on the computer late at night--late meaning like, 10:30 or so, when I know I have to get up at 5 am. Well, it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't then stay on here until midnight or later, blogging and reading. Yikes.

Today I was pretty tired because that's what I did last night! Do you ever get in that half asleep state where you zone out for a minute and then realize that there is this dream conversation going on in your head that makes no sense whatsover? I was doing that on the way home from work today. I think that's as dangerous as driving under the influence.

See, I watched this piece on TV about DWT - driving while tired, and it talked about how your brain disengages when there's no challenge in driving, particularly when you're overtired. Meaning if the road is fairly straight, and there isn't much traffic, or if it's just stop and go - there's nothing to keep you paying attention.

So to stay alert, I have to talk to myself out loud, with exaggerated emphasis, about something that keeps my brain engaged. Like I'll talk about where I am going to put my furniture when I rearrange it. Or the next steps in our remodeling project. Or what to do with the remaining mess on my closet floor, or the sequence to follow when I plan a workshop. Things like that.

I probably look like a lunatic while I'm driving, because sometimes I end up shouting about where to put the couch or something. "WELL," at the top of my lungs, "if I put the chair under the window, how am I going to fit the couch on the north wall? I DON'T THINK THERE'S ROOM!!! HOW LONG IS THE COUCH, ANYWAY?"

And I'm gesturing wildly and bugging my eyes out, whipping my head back and forth. No wonder everyone gives me a wide berth. They either pass me quickly and speed away, or they back way off and follow from a distance. Sometimes I just crack up laughing at myself because I know how ridiculous I look. If Gail was still riding with me, she would be slouched down all the way on the seat so no one would recognize her, or hopping out and catching a cab. No, wait. She could drive and I could nap! LOL. But hey. It's either that, or I drift off the road and go sailing into the river.

Yeah, I know. Go to bed early, then. Bad mama. No internet.

I took a nice long nap when I got home, which felt fabulous. Except now, I'm back online again. I'm going to have to slap myself on the face, now, Three Stooges style. Good night!

6 comments:

Smilingsal said...

The culprit is the nap. That refreshes just enough so that I'm not sleepy when I should sleep. And, round and round she goes...

Faith said...

You are so funny!

karen said...

I. do. the. same. thing. Someone help us. We're nuts. :p

karen said...

... I mean about staying up way too late reading these great blogs. Don't talk to myself in the car ... well, sometimes. But my eyes don't bug out. well, unless I've over indulged at Starbucks. Are you mocking me in your post? ... heh.

katemcdonald said...

I am so guilty of this too... when my 16 month old goes to sleep, I always KNOW I should get some sleep too but since its my only time to read/post/clean the house/etc I always end up spending the hours between 7p and midnight doing things other than sleeping! And then I pay for it dearly when he's up and RUNNING at 6a!

Anonymous said...

I can picture you bugging your eyes out and whipping your head around wildly...I'd clear the highway also, lol.

Your a crazy lady.