Saturday, October 4, 2008

fringe benefits

I'm so glad I talked to the pharmacist when I got my prescription.

The doc told me (Thursday afternoon) to take the full day's worth of prednisone in three separate doses before bedtime so I'd get it all in on the first day. So a full day's worth in about six hours. This is a tapered sequence, with the first day's dose being the largest, mind you.

When I had it filled, though, the pharmacist warned me about the side effects. She told me the prednisone could make it hard for me to sleep, and that it would probably make me feel quite...zippy. I don't remember how she worded it, but that was the gist.

I decided to start taking it on Friday. I have enough trouble sleeping through the night as it is. Most nights lately I keep waking up, or I can't fall asleep at all. I'm awake until three or four in the morning...just laying there, staring at the clock.

**Augggghhh! I just saw the creepiest spider! Hold that thought...

Sorry. I HATE spiders in my house. Spare the 'spiders are your friend' speech. I get it from my honey already. I don't care. I smash them into paste when I find them in my house. Eeeeeewwww!!**

Back to the meds, here. Okay, zippy is an understatement. I feel like I've been taking speed. I have to keep backspacing to fix my typos because my fingers want to move faster than my brain is thinking.

And even though I didn't sleep well anyway because my elbow hurt so badly that first night, I'm glad I didn't take the meds til Friday. The morning was a little rough, but around noon, I started feeling pretty energetic.

Even with my sore elbow, I vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen, did the dishes, did the laundry, cleaned off the table, put the toys away, made beef stew, baked peach upside down cake, cleaned the cat boxes, and took out the trash.

I went out for coffee and then stayed up late last night with company, got up much earlier than I usually do on Saturdays, and I'm not tired a bit. I'm still rarin' to go. I want to get my curtains cut out...I think today will be a great day to do it!

Just let me go take my next dose so I don't run out of steam halfway through the day, and I'll be good to go. Side effects, schmide effects. I call 'em fringe benefits!

7 comments:

Smilingsal said...

Oh Daisy, would you PLEASE come over to my dirty house? LOL

I'm glad the medicine's working. Maybe you should lay off of the coffee.

amy said...

Hope you are feeling better soon and I am also glad you talked to the pharmacist as well!

Crazy Daisy said...

Man -- too bad you couldn't use those on a scrappin' marathon weekend ... hehe! :)

Norah said...

I gotta get me some of those meds :-).

Hope your elbow is feeling better. Doesn't it just seem like the weirdest things happen - are these the golden years or what lol..

Take care!

bethn said...

I would love that side effect too. I could use some energy for cleaning around here. Or for sewing for that matter.

Feel better soon.

Faith said...

Hope your elbow gets better soon. I'd love me some of that energy! Go Daisy!

daisy said...

I love the energy, too. It's just that the stinkin' elbow stuff comes along with.

It's much better today--thank you for praying, by the way! I believe in the power of prayer for healing as much as I believe in modern medicine. Fewer side effects with prayer, though!! My blood pressure was up considerably when I went in today for a recheck, due to the prednisone. Yikes.