Thursday, October 30, 2008

the new job

How many civil servants does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb, and eleven to do the paperwork.


It's almost Friday!!! Hurray!

The new job is...doable. Is it as much fun as my last job? No way. Is it a change? Absolutely.

I like my supervisor. I like my coworkers. The red tape and the paperwork are insane. It's not enough to fill out a form and ask for clearance for things (for my supervisor). She had to go back over her tracks and re-ask all the people for the same things again.

I'll reserve judgment. I'm sure there is a purpose for my being there. I'll learn things that will help me in the future. I'll be working the four weeks over the holidays instead of sitting at home, not getting paid. And I'll be working next summer instead of having to be shuffled around between temp jobs or having no work at all.

The down side? Being new. Feeling unprepared. Worrying about upcoming tasks that I don't know how to do. Having to be to work earlier (and I'm not a morning person, if you didn't already know that). Feeling isolated. Doing mindless work (retyping fifty pages of notes because someone misplaced the file).

Well, it could be worse...here's another new job story:

A passenger in a taxi leaned over to ask the driver a question and tapped him on the shoulder.

The
driver screamed, lost control of the cab, nearly hit a bus, drove up over the curb, and stopped just inches from a large plate glass window.

For a few moments everything was silent in the cab, and then the still shaking driver said, "I'm sorry but you scared the daylights out of me."

The frightened passenger, apologized to the driver, and said he didn't realize a mere tap on the shoulder could frighten him so much.

The driver replied, "No, no, I'm sorry, it's my entire fault, today is my first day driving a cab.... I've been driving a hearse for the last 25 years."


Have a beautiful Friday!

1 comment:

Eli's Lids said...

Love the joke!
http://elislids.blogspot.com/